Manually loading packages by USB

red_elephant

I have an HDR with custom firmware, but no internet connection. I've just installed the "Disable DSO" package via USB stick, following the instructions in the Wiki.

My question is - how do I now find out if the installation was successful, and most importantly, if DSO is now disabled?

Seems like a simple question, but I've searched the Wiki and the forums, without success. I'd be grateful if anyone out there can shed some light on this for me.

In Web-If>Package Management the package 'disable-dso' should now be listed in the 'installed' section. Uninstalled packages are listed in the 'available' section.

Thanks for the responses, but I did say I don't have an internet connection to the box, so I can't use WebIF - unless I've completely misunderstood how this works - which is quite possible....

unless I've completely misunderstood how this works - which is quite possible....
All you need is a temporary connection to the box from your local network (or if you don't have a local network take the box round to a friend who has). Then point a browser at the IP address assigned to the box.

I manage my supported-user's box (no Internet) by creating a temporary WiFi network and using an iPad to access the WebIF.

...but with a direct cable connection there will be no router to provide the DHPC service! I'll write up instructions how to do this using a Win7 PC later.

The method I prefer is to use a TP-Link WR702-N multi-mode Ethernet/WiFi bridge/adapter (my description, many similar devices are available). This can be configured to act as a WiFi router with one Ethernet port, which is connected to the HDR-FOX (the 702 is USB-powered, so it can run off the HDR's USB port). With the 702 running and providing a WiFi access point to the HDR, you can connect to the WebIF from any browser in any WiFi-enabled computing device - be that a notebook, netbook, tablet, phone...

Would a direct ethermet cable connection from the Humax to a laptop work?
Yes, just manually allocate both laptop and Humax to the same IP group, e.g laptop = 192.168.1.1 and Humax = 192.168.1.2 both with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, that way you won't need a DHCP server

Hey! This is a terrific response - many thanks to everyone who has contributed to help me solve my problem.

prpr is absolutely right - what I meant was no network connection - apologies for the confusion

I do have a home network, but the box is too far from the router for a cable connection. So Black Hole's method sounds good, but I was hoping there was a simpler solution.

Thanks to MymsMan (and the others who expanded on the idea) for the suggestion of connecting the box to a laptop via ethernet. One of those things that seem blindingly obvious once someone else has thought of it! I will try it out tomorrow and post the result.

I do have a home network, but the box is too far from the router for a cable connection.
Using CF without a network connection to the Humax is getting maybe 5% of the functionality and benefit of using the CF networked - as you will find out when you connect. I had assumed the HDR in question was in an unconnected household (like my 'supported user').

I use HomePlug to extend my network to my HD- and HDR-FOXes, others use a USB WiFi dongle (available for less than a tenner, see the wiki HERE or the forum HERE - click). I only use the WR702-N in situations where there is no network at all (although it can also provide the link between a 'FOX's Ethernet port and a WiFi network).

To create a point-to-point Ethernet connection between a Win7 PC and an HD- or HDR-FOX:
  1. To avoid confusion, on the PC turn off the WiFi - there is usually a button to press for this.
  2. Link the PC and 'FOX Ethernet ports with a cross-over network cable. It has been said that modern Ethernet ports are auto-switching so a straight-through cable will work, but to link my PC to the 'FOX I have to use a cross-over cable (actually: a straight cable with a cross-over adapter at one end). A cross-over cable will definitely work, a straight cable will only work if the PC port auto-switches.
  3. On the PC, click Start and type "cmd" in the search box (and press Return/Enter). A command line console will pop up (you may have to select "cmd.exe" in the search results).
  4. At the command line, type "ipconfig" (Return/Enter). Scroll up the data to find where it shows "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address" and "Subnet Mask" - make a note of these two values (each of which will be in the form of four numbers 0-255 with dots between them).
  5. On the HD/HDR-FOX: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN. Set Configure IP = "Manual", and set IP Address and Netmask to the values noted above - but change the last number of the IP address so it is different from the one on the PC. Click "Apply". Ignore that a pop-up says "Network connection has failed" - this is the 'FOX not getting the responses it expects (irrelevant for WebIF access).
  6. Check the network status LEDs at the Ethernet ports are green (an orange LED flashes when data is being transferred).
  7. On the PC, open a web browser. In the address bar type the IP address you entered into the Humax Configure LAN dialogue. Presuming you have the CF installed on the 'FOX, the WebIF should appear (assuming the WebIF is installed - if not, you should see the WebIF installation page and you will require an Internet connection to install it, or install from a USB bundle). The WebIF is necessary for inspecting configuration etc.
There may be a way to have the PC's WiFi turned on and to link the Humax to the Internet via the PC, but I don't know how to do that and I suspect it may be easier using Linux rather than Windows. I would quite like a solution for this, as it would mean I could use it to link my supported user's HDR-FOX via my PC to my MiFi (3G to WiFi adapter) and hence the Internet, for CF package updates. I have a Linux netbook...

Last edited:
Hey! This is a terrific response - many thanks to everyone who has contributed to help me solve my problem.

prpr is absolutely right - what I meant was no network connection - apologies for the confusion

I do have a home network, but the box is too far from the router for a cable connection. So Black Hole's method sounds good, but I was hoping there was a simpler solution.

Thanks to MymsMan (and the others who expanded on the idea) for the suggestion of connecting the box to a laptop via ethernet. One of those things that seem blindingly obvious once someone else has thought of it! I will try it out tomorrow and post the result.

If you are not using the USB connection you could connect http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...wifi bridge&qid=1454874339&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 to you Humax to connect to the wifi. I have one working succesfully. If you are using the USB ports you will need to seperately power the unit.

having one of these means you could register with af123's remote scheduling service and also have direct access from your PC to the webif on your hummy.

Back