Map As Network Drive W10

"Failing that I will probably just end up sticking with the long winded and arduous way of entering the IP address in File Explorer"

or setup a batch file containing the following text and place it on your desktop. click the file before loading explorer for the first time of the day. Clumsy I know but it will save you the typing. The delete line eliminates the already in use message you are getting,

content starts below.................
@echo off
cls
echo Deleting old instance of y:
net use y: /delete
net use y: "\\192.168.1.50\My Video" /persistent:yes
pause

I have done my Googling and the problem I have does not appear to be particularly uncommon. ...

Indeed, but a lot of the scenarios don't seem to match.

One suggested solution does sound plausible and might discriminate between desktop and laptop, namely to disable fast-start. IIRC fast-start just means logging out and hibernating, so that the same running Windows reappears almost instantly when the power is restored/lid opened.

What happens if you a) suspend or hibernate your laptop (no, don't ask me how to do that in Win > XP) b) shut down and start fully instead of fast start?

Don't spend any more time on this please as I am conscious people are making a lot of effort for no real gain. When I first started with the mapped network drive I was expecting it to be set up, finished and running glitch free within minutes. When that didn't happen it became a battle of wills as to 'I know you're not working properly but you blinking well should be so I'm going to get you to do so!!'

Using the IP address in the browser works every time without fail and I was just being flippant about it being arduous because I wanted a pretty named icon in File Explorer just like I have set-up for the SSD connected to the router. I will now go into a sulk, concede defeat and go dig my chicken run over with rage and ferocity :frantic:

PS: I won't go into masses of detail and fill this thread up but in addition to other things I did also follow peoples suggestions regarding net use commands, zeroconfig and wsdd2 so thanks for those, appreciated.

I am conscious people are making a lot of effort for no real gain
No real gain for you specifically, maybe, but a technical challenge to which people have show they are willing to step up to the plate purely out of interest. Don't dismiss it. The whole CF started from somebody with the curiosity to poke about with no real idea of future benefit.

I won't go into masses of detail and fill this thread up but in addition to other things I did also follow peoples suggestions regarding net use commands, zeroconfig and wsdd2 so thanks for those, appreciated.
Why not? Those with the expertise need the input. Any feedback you have about wsdd2 in particular should go into that thread.

This is now working, surviving reboots/power offs and I have put my previous attempts down to ‘operator error’.

I installed wireless-helper first and then SMB 3.6.25-1, set the mapped drive up via Explorer with reconnect at sign in ticked and connect using different credentials ticked (I used root and 0000 as I am more likely to remember it). When first asked for a username I just used root and did not need to enter a password. The drive then appeared in the left pane of Explorer as a mapped drive and appeared showing the disk usage in Network Locations within This PC/My Computer (wireless-helper on just its own did not resolve the issue).

My T2 was also infrequently appearing or not appearing in Network (lower left pane of Explorer) so I installed WSDD2 as well; however I did not need this to get the mapped drive working properly as wireless-helper/SMB 3.6.25-1 did the job without needing WSDD2. What I did find is if WSDD2 is installed with wireless-helper also installed but not SMB 3.6.25-1 also installed an error will show in Network (lower left pane of Explorer) saying incorrect program usage, if wireless-helper is uninstalled but SMB 3.6.25-1 and WSDD2 left on the error disappears but then you are back to the T2 infrequently appearing or not appearing.

All I need to do now is work out why Kodi on my Firestick keeps asking for a flipping password and won’t just accept root as the user with no password the same as the laptop will when accessing the T2 via Samba when I do not have it setup as a mapped drive. But that’s another day…………………………………............

What I did find is if WSDD2 is installed with wireless-helper also installed but not SMB 3.6.25-1 also installed an error will show...
I presume you mean samba 3.6.25-1 rather than SMB – "samba" is the name of the software package which services SMB protocol requests. Regardless, it's no surprise there will be an error reported somewhere without SMB being handled!

Please bear in mind samba version 3.xxx (the package) does not service SMBv3 protocol.

You presume correctly about samba 3.6.25-1 (the SMB compatible file sharing server) and SMB was being handled by 2.2.12-6 at the time I did not have 3.6.25-1 installed.

Back