mark and quote

D

Deleted member 473

This is hit and miss for me. Sometimes I get the overlay, sometimes not, but is there a conflict with Android 6, which uses its own overlay for cut, copy, paste, etc?

And another thing, I am getting multiple posts again on this forum. I post a message, the timer spends forever spinning, top right, and eventually stops without updating the page. So, I don't know if the post has registered or not.

Why can we not delete posts?

What are you talking about/meaning?
When you mark a bit of a post, a popup appears to reply or quote. But this ignores the Android popup allowing you to cut, copy, paste or mark all. The former used to work when the popup was in the notification area, top of screen, but it moved adjacent to the marked text in Android 6. Xenforo appears not to have kept up. So, quote works, but reply doesn't.

When you mark a bit of a post, a popup appears to reply or quote. But this ignores the Android popup allowing you to cut, copy, paste or mark all. The former used to work when the popup was in the notification area, top of screen, but it moved adjacent to the marked text in Android 6. Xenforo appears not to have kept up. So, quote works, but reply doesn't.
I don't really know what you mean by "ignored" in the emboldened bit, but on Android 7 the forum quote/reply and the Android edit box both appear, apparently correctly.

I don't really know what you mean by "ignored" in the emboldened bit, but on Android 7 the forum quote/reply and the Android edit box both appear, apparently correctly.
It is impossible to click on reply, I am not sure what precedence the two popups or overlays have, but reply is impossible to select.

It is impossible to click on reply
It all works fine with Android 7 on my tablet using Chrome browser, but I just tried it on my phone, which is on Android 6 also using Chrome, and as you say the reply does not work ... but the +quote part does work.
That is really weird, but the +quote is a workaround for you if it is the same on yours.

browser, but I just tried it on my phone, which is on Android 6 also
Ah, this just worked on Android 6. You have to click just above where it says reply. Strange. It's quite tricky to hit the correct spot, whereas quote is simple.

Hmm. I did wonder later if it was possibly due to the small screen on the phone 'losing' the small touch area for reply. How big is your screen? (My phone is about 5", tablet 9".) I should have tried zooming in to see if that made a difference, but I don't usually use the phone for forum browsing, so it didn't occur to me at the time.

Edit: Just went back to the phone. If I select then zoom a little the reply works correctly. If I zoom before selecting then the quote/reply box pops up away from the selection, often off the screen. So it seems to be some clunky graphics handling, but whether it's xeno, Android, phone, or combination of those heaven knows. It might still happen with A7, but I've not got a small screen to try it on. BTW, this is using the desktop version, I don't use mobile versions as a rule, so it's possibly an unfair test (and using the reply as tested above on the small screen would be a total PITA).

Last edited:
I think the problem lies in the mutual tweaking that's gone on between the HTML standard, browser implementations, and web sites themselves trying to be fancy and pushing the standard to breaking point.

Regarding the latter, it's all too easy to hand-code a web page that isn't strictly to spec but find it does something effective when displayed by a particular favourite browser, but fails in a different browser (the equivalent in hardware is when a hobbyist cobbles together a circuit as much by experiment as anything else, but the circuit is unrepeatable because it relies on components with very specific characteristics instead of a spread of characteristics).

Even if not as "amateur" as that, I believe it is standard practice to identify the browser that is rendering the content and have conditional sections to tailor the served content to the browser in question - this is down to the likes of Microsoft thinking they are too big to bother with adhering to standards, and if they want to build in their own special feature that makes sites served from Microsoft servers really whizzy that's what they'll do.

If XenForo restricted itself to constructs that worked universally, there wouldn't be these problems... but it would also be a duller presentation.

PS: if I find I have to post from the phone (Android), it is incredibly difficult because the keyboard occupies half the screen, and the page headers occupy the rest, so I can't see what I'm typing at all!

...I believe it is standard practice to identify the browser that is rendering the content and have conditional sections to tailor the served content to the browser in question -
Based on work I did a while back, this seems true. I had web pages that could load from a CD if required (ie. each web page is effectively standalone). Colleagues at another university developed a web only version, served using a scripting language backed up by a database (and couldn't be distributed on CD). Both versions had to render pages, as near identically as possible, in the then current popular browsers (including old versions). I detected browsers in client-side javascript, they did it in their server-side script.

I wish people would keep to standards, I am sure there isn't a thing on this forum that can't be achieved with xhtml and css.

Anyway, I consider the problem solved, after a fashion, on my Nexus 7 7" screen running android 6.

Back