"Maximum number of files per folder reached" after smb share access

jimmysnail

Hi Folks,
I'm a long term user of a T2 with replacement 2TB disk. For archiving (via sweeper - currently disabled) I've got a Raspberry Pi4 with a 6TB external drive which is mounted to the T2 as a usb drive via mod settings and smb. All good so far!
Sometimes after accessing a file on the Pi4 a scheduled recording will fail and just displays "Maximum number of files per folder reached" when playing on the T2. A 2K hmt file is produced which does indeed have "03" at 0x0290 indicating this error. In the same situation I get the same message on screen when trying to record something using the remote control.
I'm generating a humaxtv.log but don't see anything unusual. Can I log anything else or can the hummy wizards consult the runes to sort me out!?
TIA

I don't recall ever anyone ever reporting that error before!
How many files are there on the 6TB drive?
How are is the drive mounted on the Humax? Does it appear under /media? or does it also appear under /media/My Video?
I seem to recall if a NAS drive appears under /My Video it throws off the Humax's free space calculation and could also make it appear that there are too many files.

I would suggest
  • Partitioning the 6TB drive so that only a smaller subset is visible to the humax and/or
  • Changing the link to a subfolder on the 6TB and/or
  • Changing any shareFolder=yes to shareFolder=no in the modsettings folder (see for advice on getting rid of residual links)

Do I win a prize?
Just 8,500 files! It's not quite full yet!!!
The drive is mounted under /media. I've already got shareFolder=no

Thanks, I was considering linking to sub-folders as an experiment but not an ideal solution.
I guess that means some sorting out or even <gasp> deleting something!

Do I win a prize?
Just 8,500 files! It's not quite full yet!!!
The drive is mounted under /media. I've already got shareFolder=no

Thanks, I was considering linking to sub-folders as an experiment but not an ideal solution.
I guess that means some sorting out or even <gasp> deleting something!
I am out of ideas,
8,500 videos or files of all types?
Either way it doesn't seem like an excessive number plus since it doesn't appear under My Video the Humax shouldn't even be looking at the SMB drive when recording

since it doesn't appear under My Video the Humax shouldn't even be looking at the SMB drive
He said it was under /media, but not where under. I'd wager it was "My Video", otherwise how would he access the files on the Pi from the T2?

He said it was under /media, but not where under. I'd wager it was "My Video", otherwise how would he access the files on the Pi from the T2?
On the TV UI by pressing Blue (storage) and then selecting USB storage

On the TV UI by pressing Blue (storage) and then selecting USB storage
Correct. Its mounted directly under /media

currently 2505 .ts files in total.
As stated its only a problem sometimes during/after accessing the share. After rebooting and not using the share its OK.

It seems that this Maximum number of files per folder reached is some artefact of the Humax software and nothing to do with the filesystem.

If so, you would think that moving files into folders, or something similar, would fix it, but the other observations indicate that perhaps the set-top program is getting confused and mistaking some other file access error for the reported scenario.

Back