Maybe a little off topic - can I use the Humax to stream from internet?

makem

I have a networked TV, a Humax box and a source of streamed movies from China.

Rather than watch them on my lappy, is there a way to stream them to the Humax and hence to the TV. Would I need a separate box?

There is something which can re-stream an incoming stream onto the home network - I think it might be TVersity.

More exotic massages in the offing?

There is something which can re-stream an incoming stream onto the home network - I think it might be TVersity.

More exotic massages in the offing?

Oh YES!

The problem with using Tversity, XBMC etc is that the movie source has to be accessed using an installed program. So, effectively the desktop screen needs to be streamed I think. Then I can set the source program to full screen and hopefully stream it to the Humax for later watching on the TV or direct to the TV.

Really? I expected it to access the stream and translate it to DLNA on the way in. Never done it myself.

I have tried programs such as Tversity and VLC but cannot get my desktop on the TV via the Humax or any other way. I can send it to another computer though.

So, I tried NAS, a USB drive connected to my Asus router (it has 2 USB2 ports). I have no idea how to continue from there but have seen mention of NAS in the forums. Can anyone give me a start pointer?

HWMBO is fed up of a small screen alone in a bed room :(

If I wanted to do what you are trying to do (as I did it the days before Humax added iPlayer), I would hook my notebook PC up to the TV by HDMI.

Yes, an option if you want a cable trailing across the floor which I cannot have.

I have copied a Chinese .rmvb file to the 'NAS' and am currently changing the file type to avi with FormatFactory. The Humax can play one other avi file I have on the 'NAS' so I am hoping it will play the converted one. If so I may have achieved what I want.

Streaming the file from the NAS to my lappy and using RealMediaPlayer over wireless was to slow. Hopefully as the Humax is wired it will be quick enough.

Back