Media & File Servers for the Foxsat HDR

raydon

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've just released a combined firmware/software bundle that enables TwonkyMedia DLNA Server and Samba File Server on the Foxsat HDR.
Full details can be found HERE.
Full details on installation and use are in a ReadMe.txt file contained in the .rar

regards
raydon

Amazing.

Am I right in thinking now that any stored programmes on the hard disk can now be viewed from any other device on the home network, such as the PC in my den, and that will not interfere in any way with someone else who is currently using the Foxsat box to watch chanels or even record them?

Am I further right in thinking that I could now watch recorded channels anywhere in the world via the internet, served from my Foxsat HD, Slingbox style?

Would you like me to post a step by step tutorial for this new bundle?

Wibs

Wibs,

The answer is yes to your first question. PC's and DLNA compliant clients on your local network can do exactly that.

As to the second question, if you opened up your router to allow accesss to your local network from the web, then I suppose it's possible, but I can't be certain, trials are still ongoing.

And I wouldn't be rushing into a tutorial just yet. It's still early days and we're all still learning. Check out my thread over on AVForums for the latest news and developments.

regards
raydon

hi new to this ive installed raydon firmware onto my foxsat hdr and the the packages , streaming to pc works great , is it possable to stream from pc to foxsat hdr ????

hi new to this ive installed raydon firmware onto my foxsat hdr and the the packages , streaming to pc works great , is it possable to stream from pc to foxsat hdr ????
Sorry, no. The HDR can only act as a server as there is no way for a client application to interact with the Humax software.

Sorry, no. The HDR can only act as a server as there is no way for a client application to interact with the Humax software.

hi raydon thanks for the reply i didnt think it could as ive tried for ages to try and stream to the box , anyway this package is just great .....

Hi Raydon. Have just discovered this post about your firmware/software bundle & understand it can be used to transfer programmes recorded on Foxsat-HDR to my PC - & from thence to a burned DVD, CD, etc.

Have downloaded the program but do not understand how to access the ReadMe.txt file contained therein so as to find out how to install and use it. Have double-clicked the file but did not feel confident to choose the right program to open it!

Grateful for your advice.

You should be able to access the ReadMe.txt file with Notepad or WordPad.

I am sorry to be a thicky, but if I right click the downloaded file and choose WordPad to open it all I see is a jumble of code.

Please can you advise what I should be doing. Many thanks & regards, Miles

The file is compressed - it needs to be uncompressed first - A recient version of pkzip will do this and there are other tools available.
search for ".rar"

I would just like to congratulate Raydon on a job well done. I have just installed the media and file server software on my Foxsat HDR and I think that it is absolutely fantastic. I had this capability when I used a Tivo but I didn't think it would be possible when I moved to the Foxsat HDR. Also, the documentation in the readme file is well written, comprehensive and easy to follow. I think that we should be thankful that we have guys like this in the forum, willing to share their hard work for no monetary gain. Well done !!!

Raydon

Have tried to install your fantastic media package but hit a few snags
1. Filezilla > Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server
2. Windows 7 PC with Virgin Media Hub connected and AVG security Pro >Windows diognostic tool > The remote devise or resource won't accept the connection.
I have an IP address in my Foxsat HDR and have installed you media package as you advise in the readme text file.

Anyone any suggestions as to why I cannot connect to PC?

Regards

Raydon

Have tried to install your fantastic media package but hit a few snags
1. Filezilla > Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server
2. Windows 7 PC with Virgin Media Hub connected and AVG security Pro >Windows diognostic tool > The remote devise or resource won't accept the connection.
I have an IP address in my Foxsat HDR and have installed you media package as you advise in the readme text file.

Anyone any suggestions as to why I cannot connect to PC?

Regards
You have not provided enough information to attempt to diagnose your problem. You say you have tried to install the package, but do not mention exactly how far you got.
Did the firmware flash O.K.?
Could you then access the basic web interface from your browser ?
Did you then install the full web interface ?
Did you then install an ftp server daemon from the list of applications available ?
Only if you can answer yes to all of the above will you be able to connect using FileZilla.
I suggest you follow the link provided by REPASSAC in post #13 for some background information on the package before proceeding. You could well find answers to all of your questions there.

Hi

I've been reading all about Raydon's package and it sounds great, but could someone please answer me a few questions :

I've only recently bought my foxsat and tried to follow some instructions (from the net) to connect to it via my network using filezilla and noticed that there was a difference between the software on my box and the instructions I'd found, i.e. the instructions said to turn FTP on in the internet settings on the foxsat, but I can't find any such option on my box. I've set the IP address manually and pinged it ok from my PC, but filezilla wouldn't connect because. I assumed I didn't set FTP to on I(because I couldn't find such an option)

It therefore appears that the Foxsat software was changed since the instructions I found on the net. If I'm right, my question is does AV2HDR work with any version of Foxsat HDR software

Where I can find a list of Humax software versions for the Foxsat

My unit is still under guarantee so could you please tell me if installing AV2HDR would invalidate the warranty, or can it be easily uninstalled if I had a problem with the box.

Thanks for any help with this

Tonypbx's post emphasises the need for an idiots guide for real newbies (like me) to Raydon's software here , as, like me, it seems that he does not fully understand what's what.
It's Raydon's modified S/W that needs to be installed on the HDR. There is a link to V4 of this in the second post of the one I have just linked you to.
As I understand it, AV2HDR runs on the PC (not the HDR) to convert various different video formats that required by the HDR then copy them to the HDR to play them. (I havn't done this yet).
You don't need filezilla on the PC to access your HDR from a Windows PC, you can just use Windows Explorer, or Network.
As you might be able to deduce from my other post, I don't know what's what either, but the above is what I have picked up over the last few days.
Foxsat latest firmware is Humax v1.00.17, but Raydon's S/W is built on top of this, and replaces it.

Thanks for that Trev. My mistake - I'm using the wrong terminology - I recognise AV2HDR runs on the PC.

My questions should have asked :

1 - Does Raydons media server software install on all Foxsat versions of firmware

3 - Once Raydon's software is installed on the Foxsat can it easily be removed if the box needed repairing under warranty

Thanks for any help anyone can provide

Back