Media sharing - hummy to hummy

centorix

I currently have an HDR Fox T2 on the main TV. I'm looking to get access to all recorded programmes on another TV in another room. The plan at the moment is to get a relatively inexpensive HD Fox T2 and use media streaming from the HDR. Now that the media server update is finally available for the HDR, I was wondering if anyone has tried this and can answer some or all of the following questions.

1. Does it work at all?
2. Does it work with programmes recorded in HD?
3. Do functions like Fast-Forward and Rewind work? (couldn't get this working on the PC)
4. What issues have people found with this setup?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I don't know as I have not tried yet.
4. None yet.

Thanks Brian, that's really helpful to me - especially to know it works in HD as well. Now I just need to know if FF and RW works with streaming - anyone tried it? The wife won't share my enthusiasm to buy another box if she loses that functionality - which currently works on the video-sender setup we have - but the picture's not great - especially if someone's using the microwave :)

From what I've read on the various forums, i'm pretty sure that FF/REW does not work...

Right, have checked the FF/RW stuff.

The skip FF/RW does work but not the plain FF/RW. That's good enough for me.

What do you mean "skip ff/rw"? I'm not sure what feature you are talking about here. I'm considering and HD Fox T2 upstairs for my parents with their HDR as a server, but they always use ff/rw to get past bits they don't want ie. press the >> key a number of times to get to eg. x8 play speed. Is that what you call skip ff/rw or not?

The >> and << keys don't work but the time jump "skip" buttons >>| and |<< do. You can set the skip times up in the preferences from 7secs-2mins.

I know that the built in media server does not show all of your media. Very random. Crashes my box a lot
Also Media Tomb if you use custom firmware will not stream mp4 files. But custom firmware is excellent for removing protection and streaming recorded mpg files.

Well not yet I'm trying to figure it out.

The >> and << keys don't work but the time jump "skip" buttons >>| and |<< do. You can set the skip times up in the preferences from 7secs-2mins.

Rats. The only thing my parents use is the thing that doesn't work via the media server. They won't use the skip forwards/backwards buttons, my parents say it is confusing to be jumping around the video and they say they "get lost".

Just set up the buttons to skip 15 seconds at a time. Then by pressing once every 2 seconds they get x7.5 playback. I have mine set for 2mins forwards 15sec backwards, so to jump an advert break I just go forwards two and back a little to find the start of the next bit.

Just set up the buttons to skip 15 seconds at a time. Then by pressing once every 2 seconds they get x7.5 playback. I have mine set for 2mins forwards 15sec backwards, so to jump an advert break I just go forwards two and back a little to find the start of the next bit.

I've tried setting the skip times to different values but they're not interested. My parents just don't seem to be able to mentally keep track of whether they're going forwards or backwards and they end up several minutes into the program before they realise. They need to see the end of the adverts and the logo for the start of the program for them to twig that it's time to press play.

But whatever my parents' limitations are, ff/rw should work over the Humax media server. If I use my NAS as a media server, the Humax can ff/rw fine when playing from it.

Back