Media slow to Load after New drive

Dave Gormans

Installed a new 2tb seagate and partitioned using custom firmware tools.

Issue i am having is that it can take 2-20mins from pressing the Media button for it to actually become functional.
No other issues, but until then the unit can not record ( and of course no scheduled recordings occur if the unit is in standby)

Looked in the /etc/fstab file and i see that /dev/sda1 and sda2 mounts are commented out.
Could this be causing the issue?
Unfortunately i have tried everything to edit the file but it never changes ( i have mounted in RW etc )

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thx

The standard operating system files are in (effectively) read-only memory.

I take it this delay was not apparent before fitting the new drive. Just confirm by reinstalling the old drive. If the delay goes away then clearly there is some kind of problem with the new drive - whether that be at the hardware or interface level or at the format level.

Why did you use tools to install the drive when the base firmware is able to handle up to 2TB? Was there some kind of problem?

Thanks for the reply.
Yes it was fine before (although I had the deleting issue and fix disk could not resolve)

I only used the custom firmware tools to format...Nothing fancy.
I think the option was Gptf.
It ran with no errors.
Tried it twice..same issue.

Is it actually an issue that the mounts are commented out in the fstab file?
If not then as you say.. Maybe the issue is else where (the drive is brand new)
Thx

I only used the custom firmware tools to format...Nothing fancy.
I think the option was Gptf.
It ran with no errors.
Tried it twice..same issue.
You call that "nothing fancy"? Why do you expect a different result unless you change something?

You only need to go GPT if the drive is in excess of 2TB, otherwise the standard Humax installation tools will be fine.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Internal HDD >> Format Storage

If it complains the disk is too large or in use, run the RMA process from the Telnet menu and retry. If it refuses, format it NTFS (MBR) in Windows and then reinstall and retry.

Is it actually an issue that the mounts are commented out in the fstab file?
It may be a symptom, but not the problem.

Thx for the instructions.
I had actually tried letting Humax format and had teh same issue and hence turned to GPT.
But i just tried that again and the same problem is present.
If you then go into maintenance mode etc.. and try and run any disk check tools then they fail with a no disk found error.
After approx 10 mins or so.. the disk becomes available.

Then I suggest the disk you have chosen is either faulty or not compatible with the Humax's controller. What model is it?

Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline HD 2 TB
I had read threads that this was one of the better drives for the humax, as its the same range that they use.

When it is picked up, it works fine and also passes all tests.
The disc spins up as soon as the machine starts, hence it makes me think the issue is maybe in recognition/mounting, how that manifests itself or what is occurring is beyond me though.
Oh .. i have also tried formatting the drive through the normal procedure without the custom firmware installed.. same issue.

Is there a way of reinstalling/resetting the OS ? - maybe there is an issue/corruption on that side.

Thx

The debug kernel might be worth a go too, in case there are any enlightening messages logged

will have a go and report back.
Can i just install each firmware over the previous one ? or do i roll back each one before applying the next

unfortunately after installing the first firmware successfully.. the box is stock in a loop at start up.. display shows "start system" and the screen pops up with the humax splash screen.
installing any other firmware again results in the same start loop..until i reinstall the original custom firmware that was on there.
Do you think its worth using the maintenance mode to clear the custom firmware and then install new firmware?

No, it all gets over-written anyway. The other two firmware versions have modifications in the HDD interfacing to overcome specific problems - clearly the drive doesn't like them. I am increasingly of the opinion you have a duff drive.

I started to think that also, so opened up the box and checked all the connections.
Took the drive out and put it back in, making sure each connection was firmly in.

Restarted and i think it is much better.
I cant press the video button immediately ( like i used to with the old 1tb drive), but i can after say 15 secs ( as soon as the little HDD icon appears on the front display panel )
I will test it out with some scheduled recordings and see if it can wake up and record.
Will come back with outcome

Thx

Spoke too soon.
It did wake up and record programmes overnight.
But when I started it this morning it took over a minute for the hdd icon to appear and then be able to access the disk.

It would be interesting to understand what process is running that ultimately asserts that the disk is ok and then displays the hdd icon.
To send the disk back as being duff is going to be tricky to prove if all tests on it pass.
It could may be power supply to the disk related or some other hardware issue.

If you bought on line less than 14 days ago, you can send it back without a reason. One advantage of buying on-line.

Update: Resolved.
The new drive is fine.
i bought a very cheap second hand hdr fox t2 and put the 2tb drive in and formatted it using normal humax menu
So far so good

I can only presume that it was the power supply on my original unit.
Thx all for your help

Back