Media streaming query

Stevaliere

I've just acquired an HDR-FOX T2 after years of using an older Humax. I want to access, from my T2, my music library on my PC (running Windows 7). I seem to get a slightly strange set of folders when I access the media area and look at the network. Can anyone point me to a guide, or explain, what file structures the T2 accesses on my PC?
I know the network connection to my PC is working as the Portal works ok and I can access photos on my PC. I have also set up streaming in Media Player. Is there something I'm missing?

Ok it's quite straight forward. Select media then select music thens torage select your pc navigate down to music and you should see your music library.
so media( on handset) media (yellow button )>music> storage(blue button) > pc > music
Personally i was doing this then I thought ,why not use a few gigabytes on my Hummy and load my music collection on there, one downside Hummy only plays MP3 not wma's

Ok it's quite straight forward. Select media then select music thens torage select your pc navigate down to music and you should see your music library.
so media( on handset) media (yellow button )>music> storage(blue button) > pc > music
Personally i was doing this then I thought ,why not use a few gigabytes on my Hummy and load my music collection on there, one downside Hummy only plays MP3 not wma's

Thanks - I didn't explain well enough - the problem isn't the mechanics of the process, rather the structure of what the T2 shows. I guess I expected to see the folder structure of the drives on my pc, but I get a structure I don't recognise.

You are being fed the structure according to the DLNA service, which categorises according to media type rather than just taking your physical disk structure.

Its usually pretty much the same structure as you get in windows media player. ie all categorised with no easy way to remove particular categories.
There is a standard "Folders" view however, which will work pretty much as you would expect.

I'm using a HD to view files on my HDR and it just shiows the folder name a and file name. i had presumed as it was one Humax to another Humax it would show the folder list the same.
Would there be any way, possibly through custom firmware, for the HD box to see the other files associated with the .ts file so that it could display the normal name shown on the HDR and also the programe information?

It sounds like the same sort of thing I was frustrated with on this thread . In the end I moved the folders with the content in as near to the top of the NAS structure as possible - the default it came with already had Music/Photo/Video folders so I dutifully put my folders inside the Video folder, but now I have folders for Films, TV Shows, Kids Shows etc directly in the first 'share' folder. It makes the windows view busier but the Humax view easier.

You should still see the folder structure as per your PC when using the Hummy but as brianmt said you have to click through a couple more layers on the Hummy to get to the start of the Folders as you'd expect them. (And no, I don't like that either - if I'd known the Hummy would end up being able to serve up content the way it now can I'd have seriously considered just getting a massive USB HDD and hung that off the back instead!!)

Would there be any way, possibly through custom firmware, for the HD box to see the other files associated with the .ts file so that it could display the normal name shown on the HDR and also the programe information?

No, I think DLNA would prevent this.
You could probably get it to show the additional files with bit of hacking as it will just be a filter, but I dont think the DLNA browser would figure out that they were related to the .ts file as the additional files are not in the DLNA spec.

Thanks for all these comments. The odd thing is that, although the folder structure is as reflected in Windows Media Player (as I guess that is the DNLA compliant aspect of my PC), only the Photos folders show any files. Despite ensuring the media type is set to Music, when I look at the Music folders, the only place I can find anything is in Playlists. The only playlist I have set up in WMP, points to an album stored on an external HDD attached to my PC (not NAS) - that shows and plays the files fine. But none of my other music (all stored on the external HDD) shows up - not even the folders. It's all indexed and shows up in WMP fine.
I thought it might have something to do with the "sharing" settings for the folders in Windows 7, but the Music folders are set to share in the same way the Photos folders are.
Any ideas?

There might be some milage in investigating remote mounting drives through samba or cifs. I don't know the ins and outs; the MSP provides the utility to share a local drive to the network, but I don't know if it lets you mount a network drive. With a drive on the HDR shared and then mounted on the HD, it should be possible to browse it just like a local drive, and thus bypass the DLNA stuff. However, in order to do anything useful that way, the media files would have to be decrypted first.

Back