Mendip transmitter. Anybody else have BBCB go down this weekend?

Dave F.

Hi
Just before this weekend I upgraded & repositioned my aerial to point towards the Mendip transmitter.
Everything seemed fine. I was picking up all stations listed here: https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip

On Saturday a bit of wind picked up & a few stations started to pixelate. I decided to retune (probably a poor decision). I'm no longer able to pickup Muxes BBCB or COM 7 & 8. Now the weather's died down I retuned again but still no luck.

I'm now unsure if it's something i've done. Is there anybody else with the same problem?
It's not the Humax as the TV tuner has the same problems. Should I be more patient?

One other thing I'm confused about is the channels associated with the above website. It doesn't concur with

For instance one says BBCB should be Ch35, the other Ch58. Which is correct?

PS in the custom firmware for the HDR-Fox T2 is there a way to save the channel list in a text/csv format file?

Which is correct?
58. It is scheduled to switch to 35 on the 5th June retune event.

We usually advise plugging your postcode in here: https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/digital-uk-coverage-checker.41/, which shows the scheduled retunes as well.

I decided to retune (probably a poor decision).
Definitely a poor decision. There is nothing that could be accomplished by retuning, the only thing that could achieve is if the poor signal is due to being tuned to the wrong transmitter (or if the right transmitter has changed frequencies) - and if the poor signal is due to propagation conditions all you will achieve is a fowl-up.

Are you auto-tuning? It is possible the auto-tune doesn't bother stopping on a weak mux, so you might have better results with a manual tune.

Last edited:
The only thing a retune is likely achieve when you have a weak signal is to knock all of that multiplex's programmes out of the tuning database thus requiring yet another retune to get them back after you have found the original cause of the weak signal.
Don't do it. Find what's causing the problem then all will return to full functionality.

so you might have better results with a manual tune.

I tried that, which is why I was confused about the channel numbers. Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem.

When Auto retuning I've noticed it scans each channel then loops back & performs it a second time. Is this standard procedure?

One other thing I'm confused about is the channels associated with the above website. It doesn't concur with

For instance one says BBCB should be Ch35, the other Ch58. Which is correct?
That "above website" has had a history of errors. E.g. speculation and draft details being put in as fact, and then not updated when the actual details become published elsewhere. Also last year there was very little update until towards the end of the year and therefore has needed some remedial work.
The website is someone's hobby and not an 'official' site associated with any of the broadcast bodies. Details do appear to get updated eventually but I personally wouldn't rely on it.

Back