Message another Hummy on the same network

RobL

Evening all,

hardly a question of huge importance (more fun than anything), but is there a way to message another Hummy (from the laptop if necessary) to display an onscreen message (something like "go to sleep" to my 7 year old :) )?

Many thanks.

You could remotely turn it off, If you had the 'IR' custom Firmware package installed, But an on sceen (TV) message, no I don't think so

No, but you can install the ir package and turn it off remotely.

Thanks Ezra (and prpr), I have the package installed and can turn it off remotely, but I thought I'd just make it a bit more 'fun' if I could! Could use it for the wife too lol. Oh well :)
Cheers, Rob.

You could search for a programme about going to sleep (bound to be something appropriate on CBeebies!), record it and then set up a macro in ir to play it?!?

A message is possible: you would have to create a web page somewhere convenient and then use the target Humax's TV Portal to display it. Alternatively, create a .jpg or a .mpg containing the message and make the target Humax play it through the media browser, but the sequence of button presses required would be trickier than the TV Portal idea.

You could search for a programme about going to sleep (bound to be something appropriate on CBeebies!), record it and then set up a macro in ir to play it?!?

Not necessarily what I was thinking of, but I like the 'thought' process lol.

A message is possible: you would have to create a web page somewhere convenient and then use the target Humax's TV Portal to display it. Alternatively, create a .jpg or a .mpg containing the message and make the target Humax play it through the media browser, but the sequence of button presses required would be trickier than the TV Portal idea.

Hi BH, thank you for the reply. Somewhat more convoluted that I was hoping for (bring back the old ICL VM days!!), but, in the absence of anything slightly more straightforward, I may well put some thought in to that one and see what I can do. Cheers.

Re the TV Portal, you can use Telnet access to point the home page anywhere you like. All you then need to do to display the "message" is force a "TV Portal" button press through the WebIF virtual remote, followed by "Exit" to return to the live programme.

Re the TV Portal, you can use Telnet access to point the home page anywhere you like. All you then need to do to display the "message" is force a "TV Portal" button press through the WebIF virtual remote, followed by "Exit" to return to the live programme.

Haven't played around with the Telnet side, but thanks for the steer - I shall investigate!

Back