Miniguide (now/next banner)

markrduk

I have just entered the Hummy/Foxy world and find it odd that the up and down arrows don't do anything. On other boxes they would bring up a mini guide with now/next info on that you could scroll through. I have discovered that pressing the 'info' key brings up this banner and allows to scroll through, but I can't get used to pressing it before the up/down arrow.

It's not a biggie, but I'm just wondering if there is a setting/custom firmware tweak out there somewhere that would change this setting at all?

No. Another thing you won't like is having to bring up the information panel (we call it the I-Plate) before the back button does what it should (returns to the previous channel).

The Custom Firmware/Software does not alter the basic functions in any way, it mainly adds functionality for manipulating the data that is on the hard drive.

On other boxes they would bring up a mini guide with now/next info on that you could scroll through. I have discovered that pressing the 'info' key brings up this banner and allows to scroll through, but I can't get used to pressing it before the up/down arrow.
Which other boxes are you thinking of?

At least some Vestel boxes (http://www.vestelpvr.futaura.co.uk/allmodels.php) do what you describe. Are there other makes that do that? I'm wondering if I've used one of the other makes and never noticed.

I'm just wondering if there is a setting/custom firmware tweak out there somewhere that would change this setting at all?

Not currently, but there are things in the works which could make this type of tweak possible in the future.

Which other boxes are you thinking of?

At least some Vestel boxes (***link omitted as it won't let me post it***) do what you describe. Are there other makes that do that? I'm wondering if I've used one of the other makes and never noticed.

I have just cancelled my sky sub (hence the new purchase!) and the Sky+ HD box used to work in this way. Also has a Toppy before that worked this way (or at least it did with the MyStuff running on top of it - never used the firmware in its true form).

I have to say this box is pretty darn close to perfect! Just the odd tiny niggle such as I mentioned, but it's probably just a case of getting used to it. The fact it plays almost any type of video you can throw at it is a bit of a bonus!

By the way, af123, I think you are actually amazing!

Just about every other DTV / STB I've used does this sort of thing. The Humax way of things did come as a bit of a surprise.
I have just cancelled my sky sub (hence the new purchase!) and the Sky+ HD box used to work in this way. Also has a Toppy before that worked this way (or at least it did with the MyStuff running on top of it - never used the firmware in its true form).
How could I forget? I now remember my first year of using a Humax 8000T and thinking it was just a quirk of the 8000T and Humax would naturally include this feature in their next product. Back then I watched very little TV compared to now but it was still a feature that occasionally I did really want.

One poster on hummy.org was that with a 7-day epg the lack of this feature is not an issue. I do not agree. The handy thing about the mini-guide is that you can continue watching a reasonable programme on a full screen while checking out the other channels. Using the 7-day epg for this is too disruptive.

Not currently, but there are things in the works which could make this type of tweak possible in the future.

I can see a tweak to the back button might be possible, but a complete revamp of the I-Plate? Bringing it up with the left/right cursors should be possible (if any tweaks are possible at all), but don't hold your breath for a mini-guide clone (able to navigate now/next for alternative channels as well as the current channel).

Oops! My bad, it already does!

Every settop box i've owned have always had the option to easil scroll through the now/next info by pressing the up/down arrows on the remote. The Humax is the only one that puts this extra step in the way - so the feature doesnt really get used in our house anymore. Its full epg or nothing.

To change this behaviour of the box (and possibly others) would be like owning a new box!

The DTR-T1000 uses the central arrow buttons to bring up the mini guide whenever you press any of the arrow keys whilst watching a live programme or a recording, so it can be confusing if you want to bring up the timeline of the recording you are watching, I am used to pressing either the left or right arrow keys, but on the DTR it brings up the mini guide!

Back