Missing [ModSettings] directory

discostu

Hi folks,
I "move" recordings using wget from my HDR-FOX T2 to an external HDD on a Raspberry Pi to free up space. I have to convert them to H264 so they can be streamed via minidlna to a Samsung TV.

I stumbled across the network-shares-automount package which I believe will make the conversion unnecessary. I've installed the network-shares-automount package (1.4-2) but sadly have fallen at the first hurdle. The '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder is not visible via the WebIF, via 'media' button on the remote or via an 'ls' command (via a telnet).

The 'mod/settings/{smb|nfs}' directories exist and scanmounts is running. The scanmounts.log is empty.

Version info:
Web interface version: 1.3.2-10
Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)​

I've rummaged in the forum but nobody seems to have reported this particular problem. I just know as soon as I submit this query it's going to be something really simple and I'll be very embarrassed.

Cheers,
Stu

The first thing is that I don't think network-shares-automount is going to do the job you want. What it does is make specified external network storage mountable so that the HDR-FOX sees it as a USB drive - not the other way around. To make the TV see the 'FOX as network storage, all you need is samba.

However, the content will need to be decrypted before it will be usable.

I also think you should be updating to 3.10.

Hello Black Hole,

The Samsung TV can only play media files held on a directly connected USB hard disk/stick or via DLNA. Unfortunately, the TV is very, very fussy about the video format presented via DLNA insisting that the resolution is 1920 x 1080. Fortunately, the H.264 standard insists that lower resolutions are accepted so I convert the video to H.264 without changing the resolution from 704 x 576 and the TV plays the stream/file. Hooray.

I believe I can avoid the need to perform the conversion by getting the HDR-FOX T2 to play the files held on the Raspberry Pi external hard disk. This removes the fussy Samsung TV from the equation. All that's required is for the HDR-FOX T2 to see the media directory served by samba from the Raspberry Pi. This is where network-shares-automount joins the party.

Unfortunately, I'm still lying next to the first hurdle puzzled as to where the '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder is.

Cheers,
Stu

In Webif>Diagnostics try reinstalling the network shares automount package. Make sure cifs is installed too. The HDR-FOX can also act as a DLNA client if you select the network option with the remote control handset.

Yes, I'm sure we can debug the network storage access problem, but I don't get why you want to do it that way. OK, so you will side-step the need to run a conversion (damned if I would be doing that in the first place, and I know TV DLNA clients are fussy but I've not come across one that expects all source material to be HiDef), but if you are going to use the HDR-FOX as the playback device, and the content is recorded on the HDR-FOX in the first place, and you want to free up space on the HDR-FOX hard drive... just fit it with a USB drive to copy stuff to and play directly from there.

You might also like to know that you can retro-fit the HDR-FOX with a drive up to 2TB (without CF) or of unlimited size (using CF to enable GPT formatting). See Things Every... (click) section 12.

Hello MontysEvilTwin,

Thanks for the suggestions. Re-installing the network-shares-automount package using Webif>Diagnostics didn't help. Alas, the '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder is still missing. For completeness the package (as installed) contains the following files (I've amended the file size to each line):
Code:
humax# opkg files network-shares-automount
Package network-shares-automount (1.4-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/mod/sbin/wakeonlan    (1097)
/mod/sbin/wakecmd    (356)
/mod/etc/init.d/S90netshares    (140)
/mod/sbin/scanmounts    (5716)

The cifs package is installed, switched on according to Webif>Service Management and cifs related processes are present in the output from a 'ps' command. I hadn't thought to use the HDR-FOX as a DLNA client but this, perhaps unsurprisingly, works.

Hello Black Hole,

Yikes! I too would have preferred not to have performed a conversion but given that the recordings were on the Raspberry Pi hard disk and that the Samsung TV had a very fussy DLNA client (see supported formats below) doing so seemed a necessary evil. I hadn't considered attaching a USB hard disk to the HDR-FOX but I just happen to have a spare USB hard disk made by, wait for it, Samsung! It prevents my PC from booting, occasionally disappears in a fit of I/O errors from the Raspberry Pi and isn't entirely happy attached to my router. Maybe the HDR-FOX will have better luck.

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm still left wondering where the '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder is. Having had a rummage in the scanmounts script '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' is a mount point for '/mod/settings' but the script doesn't create it which begs the question who does?

Cheers,
Stu

Attachments

• tv-formats-1.png
    tv-formats-1.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 3
  • tv-formats-2.png
    tv-formats-2.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 3
Re-installing the network-shares-automount package using Webif>Diagnostics didn't help.
Perhaps you need a force-reinstall or an uninstall and reinstall.
Code:
humax# opkg --force-reinstall install network-shares-automount
Alas, the '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder is still missing.
You can always create it manually:
Code:
humax# mkdir "/media/My Video/[ModSettings]"
I just happen to have a spare USB hard disk made by, wait for it, Samsung! It prevents my PC from booting, occasionally disappears in a fit of I/O errors from the Raspberry Pi and isn't entirely happy attached to my router. Maybe the HDR-FOX will have better luck.
OMG. Blank it and throw it away. It's obviously defective and just wants to waste your time.
'/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' is a mount point for '/mod/settings' but the script doesn't create it which begs the question who does?
It's created by the postinst script of the package when you install it.

Hello prpr,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I considered creating the mount point manually but thought investigating the problem might be informative. That investigation has been curtailed somewhat because performing a forced reinstall from the command line as you suggested has given the network-shares-automount package's postinst script another chance and I now have a '/media/My Video/[ModSettings]' folder. Hooray. I've even successfully added a SMB share.

As for my Samsung USB hard disk, even though I perhaps over egged the pudding for dramatic effect (the router has to shoulder some of the blame), you are quite right.

Many thanks to you all for the comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Stu

Sometimes the problem with hard disks in a USB enclosure is the interfacing electronics.
In the last 6 months or so I've binned 3 enclosures, and still have the disks working happily in new enclosures.
It's really up to you whether you think it worth the time and effort to investigate this (I've a temporary set of interfacing hardware which will cope with PATA or SATA HDDs to USB)

Hello Derek,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered changing the enclosure. A quick rummage online revealed good reviews of Inateck enclosures for £10 to £14. For that money it's probably worth a punt.

Cheers,
Stu

Back