Missing recordings on 9200T

Mister Steve

Evening - my hummy is about 4 years old, I think. Over the last couple of weeks, it's been missing recordings - both series and single programme.

It seems to have trouble populating the EPG and recording from 5USA, ITV2 and E4, but this week, it managed a 5USA recording, and missed a C4 recording at the same time.

I live in Cardiff, it's manually tuned to Mendip TX (although I have a double aerial with Wenvoe). DSO is finished here, and the MUXs and channels are settled.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

I too am having problems with missed recordings and I am also on the Wenvo transmitter, I think it may be a transmission fault rather than the Humax, but I'll give it one more week and do a default reset if it continues.

I have now retired my two 9200s (T and TB) in favour of a HD-Fox T2, a HDR-Fox T2 and a Tvonics HD500 but my experience with the 9200s led me to always re-tune (to force an EPG update) after my Panasonic TV declared that new services were available. As explained in my last posting, many moons ago, my 9200s seemed to miss recordings and drop series timers after a change in digital services event; not immediately but within a week. My advice is to manually re-tune and then re-enter the timers.

Martin

Over the last couple of weeks, it's been missing recordings - both series and single programme.

It seems to have trouble populating the EPG and recording from 5USA, ITV2 and E4, but this week, it managed a 5USA recording, and missed a C4 recording at the same time.

I live in Cardiff, it's manually tuned to Mendip TX (although I have a double aerial with Wenvoe). DSO is finished here, and the MUXs and channels are settled.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve
What you are describing is classic for a Freeview Humax that is receiving channels from more than one transmitter.

It is not good enough to just manually retune. The manual retuning has to be done in a way that the channels the Humax ends up with are only from one transmitter.

See post #3 on this link for how to manual tune http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/pixelating-channels-34-5-on-9300t .

Mendip frequencies are 48, 52, 54, 56 and 61.

Thanks for the suggestion Luke - I did follow instructions like that when I last did a manual tune - it's been working fine for 8 months, and has only started to go wrong in the last three or four weeks. I think I might as well do another one - nothing to lose!

Steve

Things get stranger - did a full manual retune, using only Wenvoe. Now I'm only getting maybe three days-worth of EPG on most channels, and the recordings I am able to put into the schedule seem to be going in with random timings eg:

The Walking Dead, CH5, 21st May 2100-2200 is in my EPG, but when I series-record it, it goes into the list as CH5+1, 21st May 0010 - 0130.
The first episode last week was 80 minutes long, but not at those times.

My box has never been this weird in all the time I've had it.

Have you tried a default setting followed by cancelling the subsequent auto tuning and then manual tuning instead?

I have - that's the way I've been doing it. The box has been in standby for almost 24 hours now, and I have an EPG of four days. All the recordings I want to schedule are now in my list, so I'll see what it does over the week.

Hi all,

New member here. May I revive this old thread by sharing my experience and asking a few questions?

We live in the Shoreham-by-Sea area, our transmitter is Whitehawk.
Life used to be good with our 9200T until the DSO. Since then scheduled recordings often just do not happen.
I suppose it is quite possible that Luke's described problem is at play here and that we're picking up Isle of Wight also. I particularly noticed that the signal strength of the ITV MUX is really low (approx 30%) in comparison with BBC MUX (approx 80%). We're in a line of sight with the Whitehawk transmitter with only two or three miles of separation so there should be no reason for decay.

I will try Luke's suggestion of a manual retune to see if I can force the transmitter selection through.

But something nags me still. Something tells me the tuning is not my issue.

Just this week my wife had scheduled "Location, Location, Location" to record. She happened to be watching something else at the time of the scheduled recording and had not noticed that the recording had not started when it should have.
As she flicked through the channels she happened to come across CH4 and all of the sudden the recording sprang into life! Many minutes after the scheduled start. As if the 9200T has to be tuned into the MUX for recordings to commence.
This leads me to believe that the accurate recording (a.k.a. PDC) just isn't working in the 9200T for whatever reason. Or at least not on mine.

We're currently on firmware release .23. This was pushed onto us OTA. Back when life was good I think we were on firmware .10.
Has anyone reverted to older firmware? And where does one download these from? They used to be available at Humax, but no more.

The wife has suggested we ditch the 9200T and buy the FOX-T2. Or even go back the VirginMedia.
But I don't want to line VM's pocket (further) nor do I want to give up on the 9200T just yet.

Just this week my wife had scheduled "Location, Location, Location" to record. She happened to be watching something else at the time of the scheduled recording and had not noticed that the recording had not started when it should have.
As she flicked through the channels she happened to come across CH4 and all of the sudden the recording sprang into life! Many minutes after the scheduled start. As if the 9200T has to be tuned into the MUX for recordings to commence.
This leads me to believe that the accurate recording (a.k.a. PDC) just isn't working in the 9200T for whatever reason. Or at least not on mine.
This is a classic symptom of a mistuned box receiving from more than one transmitter. A manual tune to a consistent set of multiplexes from a single transmitter will resolve this.

As you're so close to Whitehawk I'd suggest you invest in an attenuator (or two) to drop Rowridge below the receive threshold of the 9200. Makes life so much easier when it comes to retuning. Try a 10dB one, or get a 6 and a 12 if feeling flush.

Thanks for the reassurance, people.
Duly retuned the hummy manually. ITV MUX is now 80%, so it would seem the previous automatic tune did indeed favour Rowridge.
The manual retune was so easy once you know the information that for now I think we'll stick without fitting an attenuator, but thanks for the tip though. I will keep it in consideration.

Let us hope that our love with the hummy is restored.

Back