more wiki definitions please

jackdaww

as an out of date ex-techie - i dont know the meanings of --

CLIENT

SERVER

RENDERER

these terms are used a lot and are new to me.

could they go on wiki or somewhere?

many thanks.

I've never come across "renderer" before, but I can guess what it means. We won't need to talk about it though!

I'll think about what to include in the Glossary, client and server are already mentioned under DLNA; meanwhile:

"Server" and "Client" are used to describe the two ends of a network stream - in other words when a media file it transmitted from a storage location to a display device across the home Ethernet network (or even over the Internet). The Client requests the data stream from the Server, and the Server provides the data for the Client to display. DLNA (see the Glossary) is the standard for the communications required.

We make a distinction between a media player and a streaming client. A media player may be able to play the same content by accessing the file across the network as if it was any other file stored locally or remotely, by network file sharing protocols (eg Samba or CIFS). A streaming server/client avoids having to set up file sharing by using network protocols specially designed to locate each other and navigate compatible content just by connecting them to the network. There has been confusion on this point, particularly in the thread about streaming clients, where people have not registered the difference and proposed media players which do not have the ability to locate network DLNA servers or stream using the DLNA protocol. VLC (on PC) is a half-way house, unable to locate the media but able to stream it if you tell it where it is.

The HDR-FOX includes a server as standard, and also the custom software has Mediatomb which provides a bit more flexibility (if using decrypted material).

The HD-FOX and HDR-FOX include a client as standard, but they have the 4GB limit bug. XBMC is a client which runs on a PC (and other things, but is only any good for StDef).

My guess at "renderer" - a device which can have a stream sent to it passively, not having requested the stream itself. Something else would have to command the server to send the data stream to the renderer, as long as the server was capable of sending the data to a third party.

I will be transferring the Glossary to the Wiki, when I can get to grips with it.

I've never come across "renderer" before, but I can guess what it means. We won't need to talk about it though!

I'll think about what to include in the Glossary, client and server are already mentioned under DLNA; meanwhile:

"Server" and "Client" are used to describe the two ends of a network stream - in other words when a media file it transmitted from a storage location to a display device across the home Ethernet network (or even over the Internet). The Client requests the data stream from the Server, and the Server provides the data for the Client to display. DLNA (see the Glossary) is the standard for the communications required.

We make a distinction between a media player and a streaming client. A media player may be able to play the same content by accessing the file across the network as if it was any other file stored locally or remotely, by network file sharing protocols (eg Samba or CIFS). A streaming server/client avoids having to set up file sharing by using network protocols specially designed to locate each other and navigate compatible content just by connecting them to the network. There has been confusion on this point, particularly in the thread about streaming clients, where people have not registered the difference and proposed media players which do not have the ability to locate network DLNA servers or stream using the DLNA protocol. VLC (on PC) is a half-way house, unable to locate the media but able to stream it if you tell it where it is.

The HDR-FOX includes a server as standard, and also the custom software has Mediatomb which provides a bit more flexibility (if using decrypted material).

The HD-FOX and HDR-FOX include a client as standard, but they have the 4GB limit bug. XBMC is a client which runs on a PC (and other things, but is only any good for StDef).

My guess at "renderer" - a device which can have a stream sent to it passively, not having requested the stream itself. Something else would have to command the server to send the data stream to the renderer, as long as the server was capable of sending the data to a third party.

I will be transferring the Glossary to the Wiki, when I can get to grips with it.

cant remember where i saw "renderer" being used - somewhere on this site though.

i have ordered a hdr fox t2 today from amazon.

many thanks for a good job.

Back