Move recordings from one HDR T2 to a second T2 - transfer - copy files?

Chris White

Dear All,

Is there an easy way of copying recordings from one HDR T2 to another one. I have foxlink installed but can find no instructions on how to us it. Or, is there a way to use FTP to transfer everything from one to another. Do I need to decrypt the files before transferring them?

The reason I ask is that I have upgraded one HDR with a 2TB disk and wish to move all my recordings from the smaller 500mb machine to the new one.

Regards, Chris.

When I did this I found the fastest way was to connect to both with PC, then open one in a FTP folder, the other in Samba and just drag to copy between the two. That was using Linux but windows should be the same.

You will need to decrypt the files before transferring them otherwise they wont play.

Or you could decrypt any recordings on HDR2 and then, as BlackHole says, change the key on HDR2 to the same as HDR1...

When I did this I found the fastest way was to connect to both with PC, then open one in a FTP folder, the other in Samba and just drag to copy between the two. That was using Linux but windows should be the same.
An alternative approach would be to decrypt first and then use rsync from the command line to copy the content over.

An alternative approach would be to decrypt first and then use rsync from the command line to copy the content over.
It could be quicker to queue the videos on the destination for decryption per @peterworks, then rsync between the source and destination, and finally set the destination key to match the source per @BH.

And finally finally decrypt the copied files and then set both machines' keys to 0.

Really too much choice...

Ok, having read the Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know. I am decrypting all of the recordings on the first T2. I will then transfer them across to the new T2 with a combination of Filezilla / PC / Filezilla (Yes, I am aware that any files over 4GB might be cropped) But nowhere do I find whether they will play in decrypted format on the new T2. Could someone confirm that that is what will happen.

BTW, could someone explain how to use rsync.

Regards, Chris.

Thank you. Once I have done this I will put up a full "How to do it" for others to follow. Is it possible to transfer across the schedule information?

But you don't need to copy recordings at all if all you want to do is watch the recordings on one from the other - as long as both HDRs are on the same network, that is possible without CF: simply using Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON (at the server) and Media >> Network (on the client). No need to decrypt for that, not even HiDef.

Once decrypted though, with CF you can make remote recordings appear as if they are local using foxlink or network-shares-automount. All the how-to-do-its already exist - you just have to look for them. The package guides on the wiki or linked on the forum at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/index-of-package-primary-topics.8005/ are a good place to start.

Schedule info is backed up by the WebIF automatically daily or on manual command. To copy to another machine all you need to do is transfer the relevant backup file and perform a restore.

Last edited:
BTW, could someone explain how to use rsync.
The problem is that there are so many ways, and rsync has so many options.

What has worked for me in the past is to set up an NFS share on the source machine and mount it on the destination machine using network-shares-automount (or otherwise, and no doubt Samba could be used instead of NFS). Then run rsync between the 2 apparently local trees on the destination machine. Or you could do it the other way -- I'm sure I have: destination mounted as network share on source and run rsync on the source. This example is the first way.
Code:
# is a comment marker, not a prompt in a shell session transcript!
# -r recurse into source and matching destination subdirectories 
# -t preserve modification time
# -p preserve permissions
# -o preserve owner
# -g preserve group
# -v verbose
# -W don't use delta-transfer
# -x only recurse within original filesystem
# -H preserve hardlinks
# -l copy symlinks as links
# --progress show progress
# --safe-links copy symlinks only within tree
# eg sync tree under share-name/dirname into dest directory under My Video
# omit the trailing / on the source to sync into dest/dirname
rsync -rtpogvWxHl --progress --safe-links /media/share-name/dirname/ /mnt/hd2/My\ Video/dest
The following options may also be useful:
Code:
# -c use checksum instead of modification time and size to ID replica files, for extra confidence
# --partial-dir=.rsync-partial save partially transferred files in hidden subdirectories for quicker restart of interrupted xfer
# -u don't overwrite newer/different size/different checksum destination files
# -n dry run -- see what would be transferred

Back