Moved to 4000T; some good, some bad.

Ineluki

Good:
  • Three tuners
  • On-demand
  • WiFi built in, at last!
  • YouTube, iPlayer etc
  • Small and quiet
  • Remote actually works all the time (so far).

Not so good:
  • The interface is a bit too big and cartoony
  • Lost the skip forward and back buttons
  • Lost the ability to put things in folders (I have a "Films" folder on my Fox-T2, which was a useful place to keep things)
  • Doesn't seem to be a way to select and delete multiple items.

On balance, a better machine with a worse interface.

Moving from an HDR-T2 is quite a culture shock, with the woeful slowness being the worst thing to get used to... I still haven't and I have had mine since it came out.

• Agreed about the interface, its inconsistent too, quite slick on the guide, but big and clunky everywhere else. The guide used to be dreadful, but this has improved massively. If only they would bring back the coloured button shortcuts which worked so well on the HDR-T2!
  • Although there are no dedicated skip buttons, the feature is still there, but as is the norm with the FVP it requires more button presses. Press OK to bring up the timeline, make sure the 'time' element is highlighted (sometimes you need to press up to get this), then press the right arrow to skip forward and left arrow to skip back. I have mine set at 2 mins forward and 15 seconds back, all configurable in the settings.
  • Missing folders is another pain, but the 'stacks' as I call them are OK and at least you don’t have to delete empty folders like you have to on the HDT-T2 when all the recordings have been deleted.
  • To delete multiple recordings, when in recording list press the + button and move down to 'select', then wait a few seconds (depending how many recordings you have) and you will see all the recordings have small check boxes next to them. Just go along and press OK on the ones you want to delete, then move across to 'delete' and it will delete all the recordings...... one by one! Depending on how many recordings you are deleting you may have to come out of the recording list and go back in again to see your remaining recordings as it doesn’t always refresh the list and you have a blank screen.
The good points you mention are good and the picture quality is great, but I don’t think any of the shortcomings are ever going to get fixed, so I really hope they get it right on the next model.

I could forgive all the shortcomings if it wasn't so painfully slow!!!

Missing folders is another pain, but the 'stacks' as I call them are OK and at least you don’t have to delete empty folders like you have to on the HDT-T2 when all the recordings have been deleted.
Solve that with the tidy-folders package.

the picture quality is great
It's a digital system. The content is delivered digitally, stored digitally, and sent to the display digitally. How can the resulting picture quality be any different?

Solve that with the tidy-folders package.

It's a digital system. The content is delivered digitally, stored digitally, and sent to the display digitally. How can the resulting picture quality be any different?

I just said the picture quality was great, I didnt say it was better than anything else!

In the context, it appeared to be a point of comparison.

Some intermediate devices do attempt to "improve" the picture by artificial sharpening, and if the resolution delivered to the display (TV) over HDMI is not the same as the resolution of the broadcast/recorded data stream there is some interpolation/extrapolation going on, so there is scope for the scaler in one unit to be better than the scaler in another - so my previous comment is suspect.

Ideally there would be a setting to ensure the video format delivered to the TV is the same as the source (to cut out the local scaler and rely on the TV's scaler only), but as the HDR-FOX can only be set to deliver video at a constant resolution it is best to select the native screen format of the TV - otherwise the PVR scales the image for delivery over HDMI, and then the TV scales it again for presentation on screen.

but as the HDR-FOX can only be set to deliver video at a constant resolution it is best to select the native screen format of the TV - otherwise the PVR scales the image for delivery over HDMI, and then the TV scales it again for presentation on screen.
I'd agree partially. If the scaler in the TV is better than the Humax, or the Humax output can't be set to the TV screen resolution, then set the Humax to 'native' HD (1080i) and let the TV scale it as needed.

Back