Moving folders

• Thread starter Deleted member 473
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 473

Recently, I wanted to group all the recordings that only I am interesting in a folder called Mike. This is a pain in the A... to do on the box, as if you want to move one folder inside another the interface doesn't appear to allow it in just one operation. It's even worse if you want to move a nest of folders!

You can go into edit mode and select a folder, but Move (green button) is disabled. The only way to do it seems to be to create a target folder (nest) and laboriously copy the files into their correct destinations.

However, if you use FTP, eg, FileZilla, it is trivial to do! You just drag the folders where you want to put them.

Am I missing something?

Recently, I wanted to group all the recordings that only I am interesting in a folder called Mike. This is a pain in the A... to do on the box, as if you want to move one folder inside another the interface doesn't appear to allow it in just one operation. It's even worse if you want to move a nest of folders!

You can go into edit mode and select a folder, but Move (green button) is disabled. The only way to do it seems to be to create a target folder (nest) and laboriously copy the files into their correct destinations.

However, if you use FTP, eg, FileZilla, it is trivial to do! You just drag the folders where you want to put them.

Am I missing something?

You can't create a nested folder by moving an entire folder, but you can move all the files out of an existing one into a new one.

Open File Manager and go right into the 2nd pane. Use blue to create the new folder structure For Instance Create Folder called Soaps and open it, use blue again to say create a nested folder called Corrie and open it.

Go left and open the folder from which you want to copy all or some of the files. Press yellow to enter edit mode. Enter now toggles a file select box on/off. Select all the files you want. Green becomes a move button for all the selected files.

You can use edit mode to select a load of files for delete as well. Handy to do this last thing at night as you can start the delete and then press the power off button. The box will shut down after the deletes are processed.

You can't create a nested folder by moving an entire folder, but you can move all the files out of an existing one into a new one.

Open File Manager and go right into the 2nd pane. Use blue to create the new folder structure For Instance Create Folder called Soaps and open it, use blue again to say create a nested folder called Corrie and open it.
<snip>

Yes, I said that: "The only way to do it seems to be to create a target folder (nest) and laboriously copy the files into their correct destinations."

Strange that a move operation was not provided though when it is so easy in Filezilla. The move operation on folders is also there and working on the HDR Fox T2.

Yes, I said that: "The only way to do it seems to be to create a target folder (nest) and laboriously copy the files into their correct destinations."

Strange that a move operation was not provided though when it is so easy in Filezilla. The move operation on folders is also there and working on the HDR Fox T2.

It was the laborious copy the files that I was commenting on. It sounded as if you were moving 1 file at a time rather than a whole folder full.

If you move them around using ftp you have to reset the file paths in the .hmt files.

It was the laborious copy the files that I was commenting on. It sounded as if you were moving 1 file at a time rather than a whole folder full.

If you move them around using ftp you have to reset the file paths in the .hmt files.

Oh, right. Well, if you have a nest of folders, or several folders to move, it is almost like that!

Back