MP3 Playback (metadata)

tester

Hi guys,thought i may try asking on here as you all have been so helpful on previous occasions. I have purchased a FVP 5000t trying to upgrade from my old fox t2. I have just about got my head around it,however it reads the metadata in a different way,and only uses the song title to display the information. I ultimately want to show the "Song Name" and "Artist Name" I notice it has the capability of showing the artist cover or artwork,my mp3 collection does not have these,i use my own personal photo's instead. So in order to achieve what i want, i was wandering if anyone knows of anyway of changing or adding the Song Name and Artist Name to the artist cover, so that it can be displayed this way. I have had a look around "Tag Scanner" but can't find a way to do it. Any clues please?

I very much like a Windows utility called MP3tag. This provides the means to alter just about anything, on individual files or groups of files. It takes a bit of learning though (like exactly when an alteration gets committed to file, depending whether the edit is made in the listing or the properties pane), so work on copies until you are comfortable with it.

This thread would be better in the Audio/Video File Manipulation section of the forum (update: done).

Last edited:
I notice it has the capability of showing the artist cover or artwork,my mp3 collection does not have these,i use my own personal photo's instead. So in order to achieve what i want, i was wandering if anyone knows of anyway of changing or adding the Song Name and Artist Name to the artist cover, so that it can be displayed this way.
My workflow for this would be:
  1. Experiment to find out what the best resolution is for the cover art, as displayed in your target situation (I use 300x300 pixels; the larger the image is - and the higher the compression quality - the more bytes it takes up in every MP3). Aim for a 1:1 pixel mapping on your display, so that you know that what you author is exactly what will be displayed.
  2. In your favourite art / photo editing package, create an overall editor master file of the correct dimensions.
  3. Capture the album image you wish to use as a background (album art is available on-line, or I frequently photograph the actual cover). Manipulate it to fill the dimensions as the background layer, and save as the editor master file for the album. Note you could use plain colour instead of an image.
  4. Use the text tool to create your desired text on a layer superimposed on the background. Be aware of the pixel limitations, and turn on anti-aliasing to reduce the "jaggies" of text rendering at low resolution (if your art package doesn't support anti-aliased text and vector graphics rendering, you need a different one). Use white or light coloured text over a dark background and vice versa, or if the background is "busy" it can be effective to use text with contrasting fill and line.
  5. Export the result as an image for use as the cover art.
  6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for all the tracks in one album, repeat from 3 for all albums.
I think this is a lot of work, unnecessary if you were not trying to use an FVP5000T as an MP3 player. Any player worth its salt would display MP3 track detail tags in text. In contrast, I only have to do step 3, export the image, and use MP3tag to apply that artwork to all the tracks for one album in one fell swoop. Why did you consider the FVP5000T an upgrade over an HDR-FOX, exactly? Not that HDR-FOX is my MP3 player of choice!

Thanks Black Hole,loads of detail and enough for me to ponder over. I will certainly have a look at mp3tag,sounds interesting. Well the thing with me and my music collection is i play it through, now old but at the time of purchase high end amp and speakers and still sounds great. I have used the fox t2 for years and enjoyed every moment of it. However its started to get a bit "laggy" now so decided to upgrade! (thats a joke). However some of the features on 5000t are good,see how i get on with it. Thanks again

However its started to get a bit "laggy" now
Might be worth taking that up in the relevant forum. The lack of performance might have a simple fix via a custom firmware "fixdisk" - which sorts out the file system without a reformat.

Back