Multi Channel Audio Playback

AndyS

Good afternoon everyone, I believe this is my first post and I am hoping for some positive responses.

I am looking for a way of playing back multichannel audio through my HDR-FOX T2. It is possible to play films with multichannel audio through the USB socket on the front, MP4s.

It would be wonderful if the box would play FLAC files but alas it does not and I have discovered that my Marantz AV receiver will not process multi channel Flac files.

I have found a piece of software, or app as it called in these modern times, that will convert .iso files to many formats, including MP4, and whilst I can convert this way the multi channel MP4s will only play in Stereo, unlike the films. I have .iso files of some old quadraphonic audio.

Is there a specific format the files need to be converted to? I have read that HE-AAC is what the humax reads, is this correct? Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Freeview High Definition transmissions carry multi-channel audio in the HE-AAC format, this is to accommodate the Audio Description Service which is part of the Freeview spec. the Humax will play back this audio stream from it's hard disk and also from it's USB ports, although HE-AAC is recorded the Humax converts this to Dolby Digital 5.1 before sending it to the HDMI and SP-DIF outputs

The Humax will also output a multi-channel audio track played from it's hard disk or USB ports that is in this MKV format :-
MKV.jpg

Last edited:
I have found a piece of software, or app as it called in these modern times,
It's an "app" if it runs on a mobile device. On a proper PC it would be a program (if it does one thing) or an application (if it is a suite of utilities such as an office suite).

...that will convert .iso files to many formats, including MP4, and whilst I can convert this way the multi channel MP4s will only play in Stereo, unlike the films. I have .iso files of some old quadraphonic audio.
An .iso file is an exact image of a CD, and can be created from a CD and used to burn an exact copy CD. As such, the .iso contains the information necessary to reconstruct the audio information from a CD, and modern PCs can read a .iso as if it were the original CD. Quadraphonic audio simply uses the two stereo tracks to encode extra spatial information in the phasing of the waveforms, and is therefore just special stereo.

I am not aware of DVDs (ie video) having an ISO format, so I am unclear what you mean about MP4.

It's an "app" if it runs on a mobile device. On a proper PC it would be a program (if it does one thing) or an application (if it is a suite of utilities such as an office suite).
Then what's this all about from M$?
Or is your interpretation another colloquialism on this site a la OTA and DSO?;)

I don't particularly care what Microsoft have to say about it, or whether anybody cares what I have to say about it - the "app" arrived when the smart phone acquired an easy-access library of downloadable single-function programs with an easy payment mechanism and prices that make downloads an unconsidered purchase. Win8+ then brought the same to notebooks, and obviously you could install the same on a workhorse computer, but that's just Microsoft trying to unify their market by focusing on the mobile end - and I regard that as a mistake at the enterprise end.

Do you really want to denigrate OpenOffice (or even Microsoft Office) with the designation "app"?? "App" is for the (angry) birds.

Not me personally. I hate the word 'app'. It's OK for those Apple fanboys, but not us serious computer folk.
It's probably because they can't handle words longer than three letters (or at the very most, one syllable). 'Application' has got so many syllables, it must completely blow their minds.

An .iso file is an exact image of a CD, and can be created from a CD and used to burn an exact copy CD. As such, the .iso contains the information necessary to reconstruct the audio information from a CD, and modern PCs can read a .iso as if it were the original CD. Quadraphonic audio simply uses the two stereo tracks to encode extra spatial information in the phasing of the waveforms, and is therefore just special stereo.

I am not aware of DVDs (ie video) having an ISO format, so I am unclear what you mean about MP4.

You have it almost completely backwards. A .iso file contains an ISO9660 filing system image, which can be any of DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray or CD-ROM. The one thing a .iso file cannot contain is an image of a standard audio CD, since there is no filing system on an audio CD. You can get audio CD images in other file types, like .cue plus .bin or a couple of other semi proprietary formats. But they're not .iso files.

Quadraphonic audio means simply audio intended to play on four speakers, what would be called a 4.0 speaker setup today. There are many, many ways of transporting quad audio, from discrete four track reel to reel through matrix encoded stereo as you describe (a bit like Dolby Surround), quad SACDs or DVD-A/Vs through to 4.0 multi channel FLAC. Quad describes the speaker layout, not the distribution format.

Every DVD authoring package ever invented has an output option to create a .iso image of a DVD. Every burning package ever invented can burn .iso images to a suitable blank (DVD-Disk) in this case . Could be AVCHD format which can also be burnt in full HD to a DVD Blank or a blu-ray blank. A DVD .iso image can be mounted on a PC where the drive letter created performs exactly the same as a optical DVD-Video disk loaded to a DVD playback drive. Burning to an image file simplifies making multiple copies of the same content.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/burning-iso-images-with-imgburn/

Okay, fair enough, I knew one or the other couldn't be represented in an iso file - I just picked the wrong one.

Is that an admission of non factual information BH? Most unlike you. (The non factual information bit I mean.;))

It is, and a failure to check. I (stupidly, in this case) relied on my memory. It's taken a long time to be spotted though!

Back