Multi-room setup: how would you do it?

AndrewB

Our HDR-FOX T2 is the main media source in the house.

(Mostly because the custom firmware is superb... Easy to schedule recordings via the web, and to decrypt and archive HD content off onto another media server.)

Looking to make it a bit slicker in terms multi-room setup. How would you do it? Functional requirements are:
  1. Centralised place to schedule recordings, i.e. 1 web interface.
  2. Recordings only stored in one location, i.e. no wondering which server to play off...
  3. Standardise each TV setup.
I think it's easiest to consider the server and player aspects in turn, with options like:

Media server options:
  • HDR-FOX T2 - although DLNA is problematic from some clients.
  • XBMC/Kodi - maybe auto-decrypt and then auto-sweep recordings onto it from the Hummy.
TV options:
  • Other HD/R-FOX T2 - presumably seamless to share content from the main HDR-FOX T2?
  • TV in-built tuner + XBMC/Kodi combo - clunky for users to switch between them.
  • Humax H3 - anybody know if it'll stream from HDR-FOX T2..?
Or any other methods you might recommend?

Thanks

My multi-room setup comprises three HDR-FOXes and two HD-FOXes, the HDs can access recordings on any of the HDRs (etc etc etc). The TVs are only used as monitors.

Last edited:
My multi-room setup comprises three HDR-FOXes and two HD-FOXes, the HDs can access recordings on any of the HDRs (etc etc etc).
Solid advice and from someone who knows what they're talking about..! Shall hit the second hand market now to source another HD/R...

Thanks

So, I hit ebay, and quickly regretted it...

Opted for a mid-to-high priced unit, which looked in good condition on the photo and the description sounded good.

When it arrived, there were several deep but blunt dents in the top cover, and the side of the cover showed some vicious sharp point-impact damage right on the edge. Seller tried to claim carrier damage, but the packaging didn't show signs. Obviously I took photos which I can attach if anyone's interested.

Seller then tried to offer sending a different top cover. (alarm bells: he possesses multiple covers, therefore multiple units, therefore the photo on the listing probably isn't the unit you're purchasing...)

I pointed out that those kinds of impact are likely to have left the internals in a suspect state, so it's not just an issue of aesthetics. He then offered to reimburse in full.

So, we sent it back. Then nothing. Heard nothing back. Sent messages; ignored. Eventually he replied saying he had run tests and found no fault with the unit, so would reimburse us but minus his original carriage costs (NB we paid the return carriage ourselves).

I replied to say that he couldn't possibly test for internal damage arising from the impacts it had obviously suffered. But he just couldn't understand that and kept saying some cosmetic issues are normal for a used unit.

Still going through the ebay resolution process, and no money reimbursed to us as yet...

TL;DR - don't buy from a guy trading as "craftyshop" on ebay!

Seller then tried to offer sending a different top cover. (alarm bells: he possesses multiple covers, therefore multiple units, therefore the photo on the listing probably isn't the unit you're purchasing...)
Still going through the ebay resolution process, and no money reimbursed to us as yet...
Has the seller changed the listing? The current listing indicates that he had 11 units and had just 1 photo of one of them. It also now has no test description for the state of any of the units.
What ever the listing when you bought it, the current listing makes £89.99 look expensive compared to other sales.

I purchased 4 'faulty' units that the seller packaged as a single stack (one unit on top of another) in a flimsy box. Suffice to say the bottom two cases were very dented due to the weight, which was annoying as they were in much better condition when they were listed. I also bought another one where the seller rammed the PVR into a jiffy bag with no extra packaging. A floating mains plug can cause a lot of damage when it is not wrapped up! :eek:

I guess I just got lucky then. I bought a HDR on eBay last week for £75. Arrived in it's original box with documentation and remote control. The box was proper to the unit as both had same serial number on the labels.

Unit works a treat. Some minor marks on the front display cover. Nothing much. I really only bought it for spares, however, it works well so will keep it as a working spare.
I now have four HDRs.

For anybody who wonders what "bad" looks like, here's some photos of what arrived: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx-D-iziaxi-WFZHb3ctT3RiYjA

That, I'm sorry to say, is one of the pitfalls.

Indeed yes. I'm not a big ebay user - it's an easy hiding place for crooks and villains amongst the honest sellers.

I guess I just got lucky then. I bought a HDR on eBay last week for £75. Arrived in it's original box with documentation and remote control. The box was proper to the unit as both had same serial number on the labels.

Do let me know if you find any other reputable sellers who want to offload one...

What ever the listing when you bought it, the current listing makes £89.99 look expensive compared to other sales.

Stupidly, that's one of the driving factors that made us purchase from them. Aside from the photos (and description at the time) looking good, the higher price hinted (bad assumption on my part) that it was probably in reasonable condition.

Thankfully ebay are now stepping in and I'm hopeful we'll get a refund. Seller has received the unit back but has now closed all communications...

Indeed yes. I'm not a big ebay user - it's an easy hiding place for crooks and villains amongst the honest sellers.
I buy loads from eBay, but admittedly mostly new stuff from traders who use eBay as a shop front and can't risk picking up a bad reputation. The only significant problem I have had is buying a second hand Wii controller and finding it had a corroded battery compartment. I sent photos and the seller refunded the money - and didn't want the controller back. However, being a frequent buyer I also have a very good buyer reputation, without which sellers might be less likely to believe me if there was a problem.

Back