My 9200T Experience

My 9200T Experience

I'm a Forum Novice so forgive me if I get the niceties wrong. I thank all contributers on every forum for the information they've given me since I bought my first 9200T.

I sympathise with those who have had problems with their 9200Ts and reported them on various fora. But I think I represent the silent majority whose 9200Ts have given near excelent service over the past 4 years. I bought my first 9200T in November 2006 for £197 from JL. I bought my second (a TB) from PC World for £89.95 in January 2009. The latter's daily thrash is to record Doctors (Accurate Recording) and Neighbours (Weekday Timer) at the same time. This it has done with only one major failure when it failed to stop recording both programmes and one missed series recording. There are currently a further 14 weekly recording timers set, all on AR. My better half loves the set and would not be without it. The original 9200T is used by me to record films, comedy, sci-fi and technology programmes and thus often uses channels outside of the main 5, all using AR. It has missed HIGNFY a couple of times but otherwise has worked excellently. I am lucky that I appear to receive a strong signal using an indoor antenna in the loft feeding an amplified distribution system in a new house. I can even pick up ITV on the local transmitter (orthoganal transmission) if I let the 9200T do an auto-search.

I believe my money was well spent and would recommend the HUMAX 9200T.

Martin

My 9200T Experience

I have sent messages to humax to try and get them to join this site to give input. I have been a human supporter from day one and hope the keep making great products.

Re: My 9200T Experience

Martin

As one of the earlier 9200 owners we faced a problematical software, there were lots of lock ups and Humax did not have software people in the UK at the start. It is a great bit of kit and money well spent, but it also caused a lot of heartache too. The Hummy of today is far removed from the original, I may still have some of the early software, which you could flash it with to try how the early ones worked - but I would not really want you to be put through so much pain. A number of us tested beta software for Humax and helped with its development; sadly some upgrades were released even after we had reported bugs.

For me two of the deciding points for buying it were the USB transfer of programs and the ability and promise of upgrades so it would not become obsolete. It did get upgraded as time went by, but not until a lot of complaints and exposure in the media had been made and the upgrades often brought new problems. I did get good transfer speeds from the Hummy thanks to software written by somebody else and putting in an adapter so the HDD could be read directly, again we tested a number of beta versions of this software on different platforms.

There are still a number of problems with the software, but we just have to accept that. One I find particularly annoying, being that you can not use padding with series record, that would have been very useful - don't you just hate loosing the start or finish of a program!

Would I be without it ..... A BIG NO ...... maybe we have just expected too much of the 9200, technology advances so quickly.

I have recently bought a different make of PVR, it also has its strengths and weaknesses, but I still prefer my Hummy. Even though it is slower to respond than on the earlier software, it is still much faster than my new PVR.

Just out of interest I always leave my Hummy on, not in standby, and am still on the original HDD after all these years!

(Waits for the HDD to now fail)

here here !

I had my 9200 for 4 years with only minor niggles. Those aside, the hummy proved to be one of the most valuable and appreciated tech purchases that I made in that time-frame. When it came to upgrade time I only paid a cursory look at the competition before buying an HDR-T2... and so far... :D :D :D

Love my Hummy 9200 but it has just gone phut! Refuses to get any signal from 3 of the muxes and reports a weak signal from the others. However the same signal goes into the tv and it reports a strong signal. Guess it has just given up !

Anyway ordered a grade A 9150 from Humax Direct and it should arrive on Monday.

Martin

Just out of interest I always leave my Hummy on, not in standby, and am still on the original HDD after all these years!

I left mine on day and night for 5 years, then I gave it to my mum. One of the best bits of technology I ever purchased and only got rid of it so that I could get the HDR-FOX-T2

I too had a 9200 for several years until last year when I had loads of problems with it and eventually ( after being told it was dying ) plumped for BT Vision. I since found out that the problems were to do with an upgrade to the Hummy OS. I wish I had stuck with it - BT Vision is awful. I have to reset my home hub and powerline adapters and recording box several times a day sometimes and at least once a week.
I still have my Hummy - have all the problems been sorted now? I think I'll go back!

i've had my 9200 for a long time, thought i'd got a second pvr for upstairs, opted for the thomson, played about with it, then hated it, then hdr t2 came out. told misses thomson was never used, and should give it away, once gone, explained we had no pvr upstairs and HD was being broadcast, so we need a new one (hdr). got shouted at about giving thomson away, 9200 still going strong and used by kids.

My 9200 is still plodding along, although it is rarely used these days. It has been through a phase of displaying --:-- when in standby, but has been ok for the last two or three weeks, although the clock is currently 14 minutes fast. This corrects itself when it is brought out of standby, but gradually gains again when returned to standby. Has anyone else noticed this?

My 9200 is still plodding along, although it is rarely used these days. It has been through a phase of displaying --:-- when in standby, but has been ok for the last two or three weeks, although the clock is currently 14 minutes fast. This corrects itself when it is brought out of standby, but gradually gains again when returned to standby. Has anyone else noticed this?

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1274989

Yes, I have been following that thread for quite some time but have not got round to trying the solution of Big Les. If this was my only pvr I think that I would have had a go, but as most of my recordings are done using my Toppy's and Freeview HD recorders, the 9200 is not being used.

Back