My first 24 hours

dsr

I have had my HDR-FOX T2 a day... and sweated a little during that time. There are a number of absolutely basic things, all covered in this forum, that I wish I had known in advance. In case it stops anyone else from panicking when they unpack the box and plug in, these 'obvious' things are:

1 You need an RF coaxial (male-female, or male-male + connector) lead, so that you can watch the TV in 'TV mode' with the Hummy on standby. Why don't Humax include one in the box. Topfield did, when I bought my Toppy years ago?
2 You need to turn the standby power option to "off", via the Menus, to be able to achieve 1.
3 The Hummy doesn't obviously turn on, but stays in standby mode, when performing a scheduled recording with the TV off, whether it was in 'Hummy HDMI' mode or 'TV mode' mode when turned off. This was particularly disconcerting for me, as my Toppy clearly fired up when performing a scheduled recording.
4 The Hummy happily does a scheduled recording while watching TV in 'TV mode' - given 3, kind of logical.

I hope the above is clear. My apologies for using some non-technical expressions, but I am not a technical person.

David.

In response to #3. There may not be any obvious 'signs of life' when recording in standby, but if you look closely, you will see REC in small letters on the display.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The front panel REC icon shows the Humax is recording, As stated it is VERY small

281l5c.jpg

Thanks for that helpful info. Perhaps, if I 'go green' on the panel, it might be a little clearer? David.

I've 'gone green' and haven't regretted it for a millisecond. The display is much brighter and easier to read from a distance. As a bonus, it now matches my Toppy sat along side it.
FYI, the display does auto dim after a wee while so as to not to be a distraction.

Yes, green is definitely the way to go;), although I haven't yet plucked up the courage to do my second HDR. It doesn't match my Toppy's though, as their displays are yellow.

I have a Toppy 5810 and it's display is green (without any modification). I have leant something there, I naturally assumed all Toppy's had green displays.

4 The Hummy happily does a scheduled recording while watching TV in 'TV mode'
It will allow two recordings to be made whilst still allowing you to watch TV via the box. If the two recording are from different multiplexes then you are limited to watching channels carried on those multiplexes; if the recordings are from the same multiplex then you can watch any channel.

It will allow two recordings to be made whilst still allowing you to watch TV via the box. If the two recording are from different multiplexes then you are limited to watching channels carried on those multiplexes; if the recordings are from the same multiplex then you can watch any channel.
Same as the Toppy.

How do I 'go green' please?
It will involve you invalidating your guarantee as you have to partially dismantle your box in order to remove the orange filter from the display.

The following image is taken from the Wiki.

350px-Humax-display.png

Back