My Humax failing to go into standby

Will C

[As normal - apologies if this has been covered - I have not been abel to find it]

Title is not exact but here goes.

My Fox T2 started not going into standby either from the remote or from the front button a couple of months ago. It was otherwise working OK. I had been running cust FW and an oldish verison of the factory software. I decided to update both and I am now on Cust FW 2.17 and with 1.02.32 - sadly there has been no improvement.

The only workaround is to depower with the rocker switch. Upon repower and reboot it is then 'back on' and if I am quick I can put it into standby with either the remote or the front panel button.

The system will work for some time and seems to get most recordings though I have to sometimes leave it on as I know that depowering an active HD is less than ideal.

Also...the system sometimes locks up fully to remote control/front panel buttons - if I play an .mp4 file is a perfect way of locking it up. Oddly the webif still often works when the normal operation has stopped and I can often reboot via the webif.

Any thoughts where I should go with this? It is out of warranty and I am an electronic engineer so I have no qualms about taking the lid off and checking bulging caps etc. I am not brilliant with Linux but keen to learn on something real - I've got friends and colleagues who can help.

Thanks in advance - sorry long post - wanted to include as much salient stuff as possible.

Do you mean it won't go into standby at all, or that it won't complete the shutdown process?

See Things Every... (click) section 18, and then this topic HERE (click).

There are aspects of your description which do not tally with existing observations, but you might get a clue.

Just an update from the world's slowest user...

Disk Fix did not appear to find any faults so I am suspecting a hardware fault now. Fortunately machine is on a 2 year warranty so I can get it fixed. Only downside is that we may be without it for up to 28 days - I could cope but the other family members are keen on their programmes...so I have bought a 500GB refurb from Humax to 'tide us over' and have as a backup/spare.

I have read the very useful guide to unencryption and I am wondering - if I was to unencrypt all the recordings so that I can copy them to the new refurb machine - would/could the repair engineers notice and then say 'Ah you have been using the custom firmware - this is not covered under warranty"?. (I will of course run the 'return to manufacturer' routine via the diagnostics webif before I return it)
Should I maybe also remove all media before I return it?

If you want to be absolutely definitely squeaky clean and leave no trace of custom firmware whatsoever, the easiest way would be to reprogram a standard firmware into it and then reformat the drive (no need for RMA mode, the format will take care of that). I have never heard of any problems though.

If you want to be absolutely definitely squeaky clean and leave no trace of custom firmware whatsoever, the easiest way would be to reprogram a standard firmware into it and then reformat the drive (no need for RMA mode, the format will take care of that). I have never heard of any problems though.
I may be wrong but I do not think that method will erase the flash partitions used to store the "flash packages" and other settings which are required to be in place before the Humax app. starts up.

I thought /mod is on the hard drive?

OK, well in case I have got out of my depth, the most thorough clean would be:
  1. From the WebIF Diagnostics page, run the RMA tool;
  2. Flash standard firmware;
  3. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage
I don't think 3 is generally bothered with (are they really going to check whether the recorded content is encrypt or not?), but if you are going to do 3 I am not sure how necessary 1 is.

Yes /mod does link to a directory on the hard drive. However, there are additional mod directories under the flash partitions /var/lib/humaxtv and /var/lib/humaxtv_backup.

Just another update for those who cannot sleep (interesting dialogue between xyz321 and black hole BTW - thanks)

I have been copying all my cncrypted? media to an external drive so that I could then decrypt it on my faulty machineand copy it to the new machine, then restore the encrypted back to the faulty machine before it goes back for repair.
Now something odd, the HD media on the external drive is showing as decrypted via the webif - I have not installed any of the decryption packages yet as far as I know. The HD media on the internal drive does not show as decrypted via the webif. I have copied an HD file from the external drive and it must be decrypted as I can play it on my laptop???

In a way this may be good as it may save me a couple of long steps before I return the faulty machine.

One thing I know for sure is that .mp4 files will definitely cause the machine to hang - it plays them OK but you cannot skip back and forwards and when they finish, they stick on the end frame and the only thing I can do is power cycle the Humax. I used to be able to play them without issue. Just throwing this in, in case anyone says 'Oh I know what's happening' - I have removed all the .mp4 files as I have them elsewhere. They come from a technically reliable source.

The steps to decryption are on the WiKi HERE, don't confuse the 'ENC' symbol and the 'DEC' symbol, 'ENC' unlocks Hi-Def files so that they can be decrypted, the 'DEC' symbol indicates that the file has been decrypted. Coying to a USB drive will decrypt standard Def. recordings, it will do the same to Hi-Def. recordings if the 'ENC' flag is removed with auto-unprotect

Back