My Humax HDR-Fox T2 packed in

jim_p

My Humax HDR-Fox T2 packed in and wouldn't restart. However I found that the disc and recordings were okay, albeit encrypted. I'm now in the process of successfully restoring a few 100 recordings onto a new Humax box. It has taken me a little outside of my technical comfort zone for a while, but well explained and everything seems to be working. Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pity but please don't throw it out. There's probably people in here who'd like to have a go at fixing it, me for one.
I was planning to keep the HDD as a spare for backup, but I don't think I've any use for the rest. It wasn't starting up - the blue light came on when plugged in but then went off again after a few seconds, then on again like it was stuck in some kind of start-up loop. I haven't a clue what this means - power unit? motherboard? If you're interested then you're welcome to it. What is your address? or email me if you prefer.

If the HDD was the problem, it would function (minus recording and CF) with the HDD disconnected. Otherwise, it may be useful for spare parts.

Sorry, everthewatcher asked first so I'll give him first shout.

That's fine, no problem. Just adding a voice to the mix to point out that there is more than one here with the expertise to possibly resurrect dead machines. Lack of disk is not a problem. I'm in Didcot, Oxfordshire.

Last edited:
Good point. Has this been tried jim_p?
Sorry for the delay - previously I was getting email notifications of posts but no longer, so I thought things had gone quiet over the festive season.

Obviously the HDD is perfectly ok as a stand alone. That's why I started by thanking the guys on this forum for their help with the decryption utility (and I've now recovered all the recordings), and that's also why I said I am keeping the HDD as backup storage. It's the box minus the HDD that I've no use for. I'm in Scotland but can easily arrange to deliver if you're still interested in a box that doesn't work minus its HDD.

Sorry for the delay...
No problem.

BH pointed out that an HDR without an HDD should work as simple Freeview box - if yours does then the problem may well have been with the HDD despite it working elsewhere. Before writing it off it would be worth checking and reporting back.

Well isn't that strange - it works as suggested as a freeview receiver, booting up without the HDD!

Well isn't that strange - it works as suggested as a freeview receiver, booting up without the HDD!
There you go. With luck, and barring an unlikely SATA interface issue, a new HDD should sort it.

It's possible the old one might be fine now it's been in another machine - I had a problem some time back and documented somewhere in here when a duff sector in a critical area stopped the HDR booting. Putting the HDD in a PC running a Linux Live CD fixed it without any intervention from me.

There you go. With luck, and barring an unlikely SATA interface issue, a new HDD should sort it.
Sky and VM boxes have suitable Seagate 500GB drives in them and are frequently thrown out. The drives may have been on 24/7 but as a result have a very low POC - two here scavenged from units in a local charity shop's bin (with permission) have 2700 days / 112 POC and 2090 days / 180 POC on them but are fine.

Also CPC do cheap 'recertified' drives. They have the Seagate ST3500312CS - same as the above drives - for £20.34 inc VAT delivered free if ordered online under CS2947441. They have others listed on page 25 of their current Computer World flyer: https://cpc.farnell.com/latest-brochures18

Last edited:
I tried a new HDD (£16 odd from Amazon) but it wouldn't start up - still the same system startup loop that I was getting with the old HDD. I didn't format it first thinking I can get the box to do it, but didn't get that far. So the problem must be something to do with the HDD interfacing?

I tried a new HDD (£16 odd from Amazon) but it wouldn't start up - still the same system startup loop that I was getting with the old HDD. I didn't format it first thinking I can get the box to do it, but didn't get that far. So the problem must be something to do with the HDD interfacing?
Oh dear, that's a pity. If it were here I'd have a look at the power supply rails next.

£16 sounds cheap; what make and model of hard drive did you buy? Was it reconditioned?

I was planning to keep the HDD as a spare for backup, but I don't think I've any use for the rest. It wasn't starting up - the blue light came on when plugged in but then went off again after a few seconds, then on again like it was stuck in some kind of start-up loop. I haven't a clue what this means - power unit? motherboard? If you're interested then you're welcome to it. What is your address? or email me if you prefer.

What you describe sounds like a simple power supply fault to me, one or more voltages not reaching correct level or unstable, the most common cause for that is 'leaky capacitors' you can easily identify such as they either distort or actually leak their dielectric. Look for any capacitors that have any sort of bulge (they should have perfectly flat tops) or the circuit board appears discoloured around them.

http://www.robotroom.com/Faulty-Capacitors-1.html

Back