My poor little Hummy is sick

I have a HDR Fox T2 with horizontal tuners, loader version = a7.33, MAC address = dc:d3:21, and serial no =710 5902, this unit definitely has a fan that blows outwards and fan label is visible

Could it be that the fans are ramdomly fitted?

Last edited:
Presumably it makes enough of a difference for Humax to change to blowing air in on later units
The problem is whether the most important bits are cooler according to direction of flow. The 'system' temperature is read from the HDD, but the HDD is easy to replace and the main board is not. The PSU is also a not-so-easy-to-replace item. Another question is which air flow is best for dust accumulation.

It's also possible that when the tuners were changed the motherboard layout was changed in other ways too, so making an inward airflow the better option. I guess that's fairly easy to check if you have a picture of each type.

I guess that's fairly easy to check if you have a picture of each type.
I've got one of each and I supplied some pix of the later/V2 model earlier this year for inclusion in the dismantling Wiki.

The only substantial physical difference is the tuner. The SoC/main IC is in the same place and any other changes won't have any effect on airflow requirements. The only other substantial change is the PSU has only a 12V output with all the lower voltages now generated from it on the main PCB.

The only other substantial change is the PSU has only a 12V output with all the lower voltages now generated from it on the main PCB.
That does mean a bit more heat will be generated on the board rather than in the PSU. I'd think that would prompt at least a review of the cooling and maybe that resulted in the change of airflow direction.
Could ask Humax I suppose, after a prayer to St. Jude Thaddeus of course :)

That does mean a bit more heat will be generated on the board rather than in the PSU.
Probably zero or less.

The regulators on the main board are now all fed from 12V and as they're mostly switchers (the only linear regulators I've found on the main PCB are for the tuners) there'll little if any increase in their losses. They may actually be more efficient.

My OH has informed me he's bought another HDR-Fox T2 as it was a bargain at £25. We will now have Three lol, seems like he has plans to have a Hummy sanctuary lol.

£25? Second-hand HDRs used to go for silly money.

As for opening a sanctuary, I've already done that (five HDRs and three HDs).

£25? Second-hand HDRs used to go for silly money.

Depends what the seller thinks it is worth doesn't it? HDRs are getting older, people want Freeview Play or a larger hard disc etc. HDRs are only seen as valuable these days if you know about the custom firmware.

You're probably right. Prices are coming down but I've not yet seen a working one with original remote as low as £25.

I'd have bought it at that price if I'd seen it. I have two spare HDRs to cover mine and my two supported users' needs, but I'm down to zero spare remotes and even in the working ones I have one remote that eats batteries much faster than it used to and another one that needs fingers of steel to make the buttons work. The remotes seem to be a weakness in the system.

I'd have bought it at that price if I'd seen it. I have two spare HDRs to cover mine and my two supported users' needs, but I'm down to zero spare remotes and even in the working ones I have one remote that eats batteries much faster than it used to and another one that needs fingers of steel to make the buttons work. The remotes seem to be a weakness in the system.

Well, you only need one (and maybe not even that) to set up a universal remote that could improve on the Humax remote by turning on both TV and PVR with one command.

For instance, I was pleasantly surprised to find a useful pre-programmed code for the HD Fox-T2 in a 2011-era Sony universal remote.

Not so much luck with the millennial Panasonic TV whose long-press power-on the remote can't reproduce in a system control sequence (macro).

Well, you only need one (and maybe not even that) to set up a universal remote that could improve on the Humax remote by turning on both TV and PVR with one command.

I don't do universal remotes, and neither do my two supported users. The buttons never have the right names printed on them. And since I and my two supported users all turn the TV off at the mains socket on the wall (saves power, turns the annoying standby LED off, prevents the network connected TV spying on me all the time) no amount of universal remote configuration is going to turn the TV on.

I gave my supported user a specially programmed Harmony. It doesn't have all the buttons I would need, but there are four undedicated buttons I have programmed and labelled and she doesn't miss what she never had. Everything she does is via the HDR, so the TV just needs turning in and setting to HDMI input - which is achieved on the "watch TV" macro. Playing a DVD is simply a case of shoving it in and the SCART input takes over for the duration.

The most trouble is when one or other picks up the "turn on" command but the other doesn't - without intervention there follows a dance of TV being on with HDR off and vice versa. When things really go wrong it's the batteries fading in the Harmony.

My answer to standby LEDs is to cover them with black tape. The LED is programmable on my LG.

My OH bought it from Facebook, It arrived today with remote and the anti-tamper seal intact so its, it works fine so far so hopefully we can keep our Hummy going for a while longer. I saw on eBay some sellers selling used units for £99.

Back