My Video folder is fatter than Nadir's wallet...?

ukayjohn

Folder contains 7.5GB of (visible) recordings. Web-If & Hummy's HDD indicate 15GB in there. Are duplicates being created/stored elsewhere? if yes, how can I get rid of them?. This folder has Auto-Shrink & Auto-Decrypt enabled if that gives a clue.

TIA,

UKJ

(PPI Brixton)

You can view the (possibly hidden) files in your Media folder using the Web-If File Editor e.g. Diagnostics >> File editor >> Open

file-editor2.jpg

Do you have undelete running? If so deleted recordings are moved to the nominated recycle bin and then cleared out a week later.

Do you have undelete running? If so deleted recordings are moved to the nominated recycle bin and then cleared out a week later.
My deleted folder is empty and I still have different sizes listed between the Humax screen and the webif. The Humax shows 21GB more space than the webif.

You can view the (possibly hidden) files in your Media folder using the Web-If File Editor e.g. Diagnostics >> File editor >> Open

View attachment 257
Opened the file editor and checked my video folder, it seems to contain previous recording info, the information files that are created when a recording is made?. the .hmt/.thm/.nts ones, not the actual .TS

Yes these 'sidecar' files hold things like thumbnail pictures, bookmarks etc. they shouldn't really be left behind but they are always very small and won't be the reason for big differencies in folder size

Daft question, but manually shrinking/decrypting HD files, then using Internet Download Manager to copy to Laptop HDD for editing by using the DLNA URL wouldn't somehow create duplicate files on the Humax?.

I have tried using the download option from opt+ to copy files before, but this just put the file into a temporary folder (never could find where that was) before opening it and playing it with Windows Media Player. (I'm told that's a feature of IE web browser, but couldn't figure out how to turn it off!). Is the temporary folder on the Humax or Laptop? if Humax, could that be where 'duplicates' are held?.

There isn't a temporary file, the file is streamed e.g. played but not stored anywhere. You can stop this happening by removing the association on your laptop to TS files, e.g. your laptop is asked to 'get' a TS file and associates the TS file to a media player, if the association is removed, your laptop will really 'get' the file and store it in a folder on the laptop

There isn't a temporary file, the file is streamed e.g. played but not stored anywhere. You can stop this happening by removing the association on your laptop to TS files, e.g. your laptop is asked to 'get' a TS file and associates the TS file to a media player, if the association is removed, your laptop will really 'get' the file and store it in a folder on the laptop
Thanks once again for the info!

Yes these 'sidecar' files hold things like thumbnail pictures, bookmarks etc. they shouldn't really be left behind but they are always very small and won't be the reason for big differencies in folder size

...but the information within them might be used to calculate the space requirements rather than the actual physical space used?

It is sometimes very difficult to remove this association, you can change it to something else but not remove it. It is possible to remove the assoication using the registry editor with Start >> Run >> regedit. BUT you must be very careful as regedit can screw things up big-time so I would only use it as a 'last resort'. you would need to navigate to ComDlg3 >> OpenSaveMRU >> TS (path shown at the bottom) and delete the entry where 'value not set' is shown

regedit.jpg

This is also in the WiKi HERE

Took the 'radical' step of deleting the errant 'My Video' folder and creating a new one. So far, working prefectly. File Association too is fine, can open Audio/Video files directly into editors for further work. Thanks to all for the advice...

Back