Natural successor to HDR-Fox T2

Colsta

I've been very happy with my HDR-Fox T2 especially for the ability to run custom firmware which greatly enhances it's extensibility. But I wondered what model is the natural successor to this should it die tomorrow. Has anyone experience with later Humax models and can advise which offer the same degree of flexibility?

In order for there to be a newer Humax (or any other make of PVR) that can run Customised firmware a few things have to be in place :-
1) A Suitable product to work on
2) Someone with the correct Skills to work on the product and possibly inside knowledge of it
3) That someone also needs to have the time and desire to apply the skills / knowledge

It isn't impossible that all three of the above will happen in the future, but personally I doubt it will

In order for there to be a newer Humax (or any other make of PVR) that can run Customised firmware a few things have to be in place :-
1) A Suitable product to work on
2) Someone with the correct Skills to work on the product and possibly inside knowledge of it
3) That someone also needs to have the time and desire to apply the skills / knowledge

It isn't impossible that all three of the above will happen in the future, but personally I doubt it will
No. 1 is a big hurdle. Humax have gradually locked their newer products down. With the HDR-2000T they blocked the installation of custom firmware, but still allowed high def. recordings to be unprotected (Foxy or hex editor) and ultimately decrypted. With the FVP-4000T they also blocked decryption of high def. recordings.
There are other systems like the Wetek Play which is is based on Kodi and runs Android apps too, with modular satellite and terrestrial tuners, but I doubt any of the 'mainstream' maunfacturers will produce anything that can be tinkered with and modified.

No. 1 is a big hurdle. Humax have gradually locked their newer products down. With the HDR-2000T they blocked the installation of custom firmware...
That's not entirely fair, HD/HDR-FOX also have secure firmware updating - it's just that "we" cracked that, and later products apparently use a tougher cypher. Some products have encrypted file systems too.

I've been very happy with my HDR-Fox T2 especially for the ability to run custom firmware which greatly enhances it's extensibility. But I wondered what model is the natural successor to this should it die tomorrow. Has anyone experience with later Humax models and can advise which offer the same degree of flexibility?
Take a look at the VBox (click).

Blast. Not what I was hoping to hear, but also not unexpected. In the event of sudden death, roll-your-own it is then.
There is a discussion open HERE (click).

That's not entirely fair, HD/HDR-FOX also have secure firmware updating - it's just that "we" cracked that, and later products apparently use a tougher cypher. Some products have encrypted file systems too.
My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, just an illustration of how things have been tightened up gradually. It might be possible to crack the HDR-2000T, but until someone has done this, custom firmware installation on that machine is blocked.

I know what you meant, but it sounded like (and still sounds like) Humax took action to block the installation of custom firmware on the 2000, as if they hadn't previously.

Yep, they used an encrypted cryptographic checksum on the HD[R] Fox T2 to protect firmware updates. It's just that I know the checksum algorithm (a broken implementation of SHA256) and the AES128 encryption key that they use. I'm not the only one though : )

Yep, they used an encrypted cryptographic checksum on the HD[R] Fox T2 to protect firmware updates. It's just that I know the checksum algorithm (a broken implementation of SHA256) and the AES128 encryption key that they use. I'm not the only one though : )
Good to know. They must have changed something with the HDR-2000T: the encryption key?

Back