Navigating decrypted recordings on NAS device

Tontoe

I'm using the customised firmware to decrypt files, and dedup to clean up directories/give files meaningful names.

All works v. well.

I have backed up some recordings [including .ts, .hmt, .hmt and .thm files for each] to my Synology NAS device, and can play them over the network through my Hummy.

However, if I try to FFWD a recording stored on the NAS device via the Hummy remote, I get the "no-can-do" icon in the top rightof the screen. If I pause and come back later, the file just plays from the beginning.

As I'm pretty new to all of this, I may well have missed something obvious. Or do I have unrealistic expectations of functionality?

One of the functions of the smaller files that are with the main *.ts file is to enhance the transport functions, such as FFWD, bookmark etc. however the files are only used if they are found with the *.ts file on a 'local' drive, e.g. the internal hard disk or a USB hard drive / flash drive. Copying the files to a remote NAS drive does not have the same effect as they are not 'sent' with the main *.ts file to the Humax when it is streamed

Thank you - that explains it very clearly.
So if I want this functionality, I will need to put the series on, say, an HDD within a USB enclosure connected directly to the Hummy's USB port. Or alternatively move them back to the Hummy?

I have played back and navigated recordings on a NAS , via my TV, but have to use the left and right arrows to do this. It's a bit hit and miss, mostly miss.

@Tontoe: are you currently accessing your programmes on the NAS by DLNA, by pressing 'media' on the remote, selecting 'Network' with the blue button and navigating to the NAS server? I presume you can also share folders on the NAS using Samba? As you have custom firmware, if you install the Network Shares Automount package (search the forum for this: there is a long thread) you can mount such a shared folder on the HDR-FOX automatically on boot and it will be accessible like it were a locally attached USB drive (you need to leave another USB drive plugged in or install the virtual disk 2 package to access the share). Then, as long as the sidecar files are in the same folder as the TS file, it will play with full transport controls.

@Tontoe: are you currently accessing your programmes on the NAS by DLNA, by pressing 'media' on the remote, selecting 'Network' with the blue button and navigating to the NAS server? I presume you can also share folders on the NAS using Samba? As you have custom firmware, if you install the Network Shares Automount package (search the forum for this: there is a long thread) you can mount such a shared folder on the HDR-FOX automatically on boot and it will be accessible like it were a locally attached USB drive (you need to leave another USB drive plugged in or install the virtual disk 2 package to access the share). Then, as long as the sidecar files are in the same folder as the TS file, it will play with full transport controls.

Thanks for this - what you describe is exactly what I want to achieve. I am currently accessing recordings on in the way you describe, and can share folders on the NAS both with PCs and iPad.

I have read the first few pages of the thread on "Network Shares Automount" and installed the package.

I suspect I am going to need to get my crampons out for another steep learning curve! I've spent an hour or so looking at various threads relating to how to set up Network Shares Automount, some of Black Hole's notes on network shares and other threads - un fortunately the Forum doesnt allow me to post the links here.

Please excuse what may appear as dumb questions, but I as I am not a programmer I think I have some fundamental gaps in my knowledge/understanding.

I think I understand what the Network Shares Automount will do, but don't understand where and how I need to create & insert the script described in the various threads I have read.

I realise that this is basic stuff, but I am new to this. I'm not asking for somebody to do it for me, but if one of you could point me in the right direction I'm keen to learn how to do it. I tried using the OPT+ button on the remote to create a new folder, but realised at that point I didn't know what I was doing and it would be better to ask before breaking something.

Once you have the network-shares-automount package installed, access the normal Humax Media listing via remote control handset and TV screen. You will find a "magic" folder added under My Video called "[ModSettings]" - you create a name for your NAS mount in there, within either "smb" or "nfs" sub-folder (according to which network protocol you wish to use - if in doubt choose SMB), by creating a new sub-folder via the OPT+ button on the handset. Then within the folder you create there will "magically" appear a series of configuration options, and all you do is rename them to include the configuration parameters as per the examples given (using the OPT+ rename option).

In your case, supposing you want to call your external device "NAS1" (for example), you use the handset to do:

Media* >> [ModSettings] >> smb >> OPT+ >> New Folder >> "NAS1"

..then configure the folders that appear within NAS1 using OPT+ >> Rename.

* The HDR-FOX Media button defaults to listing the contents of My Video - unless you have been navigating elsewhere since last boot. If in doubt, do Media >> Storage (blue) >> HDD and Media >> Media (yellow) >> Video.​

These things can also be done via the WebIF media browser if you prefer, but the way this was all set up was to make it accessible without having to reach for a web browser. Hell, there are even hints when you look in the smb folder!

This is all described in the network-shares-automount topic, although I appreciate it is a long thread. The example I show in post 244 is for mounting another HDR-FOX using SMB from a HD-FOX, so the means to get to the [ModSettings] folder is different, but the folder structure illustrated below that shows you what to expect. There are also notes on the wiki (click).

You won't break anything, just fiddle with the config options until you get it right, at which point your "NAS1" mount will appear under Media >> Storage >> USB.

Last edited:
Once you have the network-shares-automount package installed, access the normal Humax Media listing via remote control handset and TV screen. You will find a "magic" folder added under My Video called "[ModSettings]" - you create a name for your NAS mount in there, within either "smb" or "nfs" sub-folder (according to which network protocol you wish to use - if in doubt choose SMB), by creating a new sub-folder via the OPT+ button on the handset. Then within the folder you create there will "magically" appear a series of configuration options, and all you do is rename them to include the configuration parameters as per the examples given (using the OPT+ rename option).

In your case, supposing you want to call your external device "NAS1" (for example), you use the handset to do:

Media* >> [ModSettings] >> smb >> OPT+ >> New Folder >> "NAS1"

..then configure the folders that appear within NAS1 using OPT+ >> Rename.

* The HDR-FOX Media button defaults to listing the contents of My Video - unless you have been navigating elsewhere since last boot. If in doubt, do Media >> Storage (blue) >> HDD and Media >> Media (yellow) >> Video.​

These things can also be done via the WebIF media browser if you prefer, but the way this was all set up was to make it accessible without having to reach for a web browser. Hell, there are even hints when you look in the smb folder!

This is all described in the network-shares-automount topic, although I appreciate it is a long thread. The example I show in post 244 is for mounting another HDR-FOX using SMB from a HD-FOX, so the means to get to the [ModSettings] folder is different, but the folder structure illustrated below that shows you what to expect. There are also notes on the wiki (click).

You won't break anything, just fiddle with the config options until you get it right, at which point your "NAS1" mount will appear under Media >> Storage >> USB.

Thanks for your help.

Have tried this and managed to create the folder and contents okay via remote.

Still fiddling to get it to work [think I have a setting/path wrong somewhere] and will report back when I do.

Back