Netflix

Jm5654

Here in the UK Netflix is not available in the apps market. The only useful streaming services I use are iplayer and internet radio. Is there a way of getting Netflix on my T2? When I use my laptop via hdmi to my tv to watch Netflix there is an ever so slight flicker on panning shots. Refresh rate etc are set to match my TV. However iplayer from the T2 is flawless. So I'd like the same quality of streaming on Netflix and was wondering if I could get it on my T2.

Not that I'm aware of and from other comments about future development I guess it's unlikely. I bought an AppleTV box partly for Netflix and to integrate with my home network. That works very well but it is an expensive option unless you can get hold of a good second-hand one.

I've just checked out the Roku 1 and 2 which for £50 and £60 from Amazon seem like a good solution.

When streaming from your apple tv box is the quality flawless i.e. no juddering?
Yes - certainly as good as broadcast tv. My broadband connection is about 5.6 meg which is fair but not outstanding. I believe netflix will cope with less.

I've just had a look at Chromecast. It sounds interesting - if I have understood it correctly it is similar to Apple's airplay. That is it is like an airplay receiver getting its feed from your phone. If so the plus side would be that it is easier to get new data sources on your phone that to rely on Apple putting them on the appletv, or Humax putting them on the T2. The downside might be quality. Using airplay to stream to the appletv the quality is sometimes less good. Also it is still possible for the app provider to block streaming, as 4OD does. Mind, 4OD is such crap it's no loss.

I've just had a look at Chromecast. It sounds interesting - if I have understood it correctly...

With Chromecast the data is streamed from source (Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies etc) direct to the Chromecast, so there is no loss of quality and more importantly drain on your phone/tablets battery!

With Chromecast the data is streamed from source (Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies etc) direct to the Chromecast, so there is no loss of quality and more importantly drain on your phone/tablets battery!
Ah right. So when I read about the apps for android and iOS presumably they are just controllers a bit like the iPhone app for the hummy or for the appletv. But does that mean then you are dependent on Google providing links ( similar to apple ) or is it open to third parties?

Up until recently it was restricted to Google authorised partners to provide suitable Aps but the SDK has been released to developers so there will be no restrictions on third parties providing a wide range of Aps. Whether the UK on demand providers will enable their aps is still unclear.
Your mobile device or PC acts like a remote controller and you can switch to a different device while streaming. Streaming from your own device is limited at present but that will improve now that the SDK is released.

Back