Network Problem, Probably HomePlug

The TP-Link spec sheet says 10/100Mbps Auto-Negotiation (Auto MDI/MDIX), but doesn't give me the option of forcing a half duplex connection to verify (or indeed any indication as to actual link speed or that it is otherwise unhappy with link traffic). I have a Win7PC, a Linux PC & a raspberry pi all connecting happily to it over Ethernet. Doesn't help that neither router tells me much about how they are connecting...

I can recommend the Devolos - I have 3 plus 3 Airport access points, because my house layout restricts wireless coverage. One of them is in a wing served by a separate distribution box and although this greatly reduces speed its still fine for web browsing etc. The one serving the HDR is on the main circuit board so no worries.
I would imagine that your Homeplugs are like the Devolos and have little you can configure - just device name and security. There is an option to factory reset ( not much point if you can't change much ) and update firmware ( not seen any updates yet ). So if its bust its bust - you haven't had any power cuts or surges by any chance?
If you do decide to buy look out for a triple pack - when I bought it was only a fiver or so more than a double so you can identify if one is faulty and you have a spare.

I'd go for the Solwise ones for preference- all HomePlugs use the same chipsets (vary depending on speed) licensed from a US company, so really it's price/interface/build quality that's the key.
There's little you can configure on HomePlug - it's a *transparent* ethernet bridge, so doesn't have any IP address of its own - it acts like a piece of cable as far as the rest of your network is concerned, and has no influence over the IP addresses used. This is true even of the WiFi range-extender plugins- the IP you get is determined by the router at the far end of the connection, and as far as the router is concerned, you're connected to the wired LAN.

It sounds like a duplex mismatch - the Humax will auto-negotiate the Ethernet settings but if your TP-Link has them locked/forced to 100Mb/s, Full-duplex for example, the autonegotiation packets will not be sent and the Humax will default back to half-duplex and you will see packet loss.
Thank you af123, should have thought of this myself. Have seen auto negotiation causing problems in the past, particularly on Win-Xp PCs, but not failing all the time like this. Having confirmed that auto-negotiation works between my TP-Link and everything else, and now having gotten my HDR Ethernet connection working by using my old Belkin router as a dummy switch between them, I can categorically state there is a compatibility problem between my Humax HDR Fox T2 (Firmware version FHTCP 1.02.29) and the TP-Link td-w8961nd router.
In order to get rid of router/switch clutter & inelegant config, I guess first try firmware downgrade to 1.02.20 and then see about trying to force the HDR to 100MB/Full duplex? Any recommendations or suggestions welcome!

Try 1.02.20 by all means, but I doubt it will make a difference. We await the result with interest!

Unless someone knows how to force the HDR ethernet link speed, I am stuck connecting my HDR through a switch to my router. (At minimum would have liked to confirm the problem was auto-negotiation.) My hummy did not like the downgrade to 1.02.20 (lost its channels & refused to find them again so I ended up stuck in that search channel loop). Telneted in only to realize ethtool not installed & possibly not much use even if was (per thread below).
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/customised-hdf-file-released.232/page-13#post-2962
Further action way beyond my limited skills:(

They arrived at last, out of stock at Maplin when I placed the order and I had forgotten about them. Plugged in and worked straight off, and a quick test suggests the link is faster now - HiDef no longer breaks up on network (rather than DLNA) playback.

Now to see what happens if I try to add the old units to the network.

My Devolos are not entirely trouble-free. When they work I have no trouble at all with remote access to HiDef recordings (the diffence between Devolo 500AV and X-net 200AV - decide for yourselves whether that's a question of speed or quality), the trouble is they sometimes don't.

Occasionally I find I can't connect to the WebIF. If I then look at the Configure LAN menu page (with DHCP), the IP Address is set to an odd value not on my subnet (memory not being what it was I shall have to update this post next time I see the problem)*. If I then click "Apply", the settings update and everything is fine again.

I suspect the Devolos go to sleep, and sometimes don't wake up in time to respond to the Humax DHCP request during boot which then defaults to the build-in values and doesn't ask again. Most of the time it's OK, but I reckon if I made my settings manual it would be OK every time (no DHCP negotiation to fail).

AF - any chance you can figure out where the Humax default IP values are stored and make them configurable? Then we could have the best of both worlds - DHCP when available and manual settings when not.

* Update: 192.0.2.100 - which appears to be the Humax default when a DHCP fails to establish the correct IP address. We believe a failed WiFi defaults to 192.0.2.200.

I suspect the Devolos go to sleep
That was certainly the case with my Devolo minis - connecting them to the Humax via a a cheap switch totally fixed the problem, by keeping them on all the time. There is no option to cancel the energy saver mode ( yours may be different ) but in any case the saving is minimal. Since then 100% reliable.

Back