Network Setting Flipped from Manual to DHCP

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
My HDR3 disappeared from my network (WebIF or SMB), which usually means it needs rebooting. It didn't look crashed though, and this time rebooting didn't restore network access.

I did a network scan and found it on another IP address. When I looked into the network settings I found it on DHCP instead of manual.

Anybody else had this?

Anybody else had this?
Frequently.
I suspect that when they fail to connect (which is quite often, possibly because the WiFi dongles are not quick enough in reacting) the Humax system abandons the manual setting in the hope of making one with DHCP.
I've mostly given up trying to change it back - the cfw is set to apply manual addresses. The router is set to always give them the same addresses, so on the occasions when they do connect one way or another I can find them easily.

I'm trying to remember what my experience was with WiFi, but this is the first time I've seen it using Ethernet/HomePlug. DHCP is unreliable with HomePlug when the HomePlug doesn't establish a link quickly enough on booting the HDR (the HomePlug goes to sleep when not active), which makes manual preferred over DHCP for this situation.

Your comment about the CF may be relevant - I found the WebIF >> Settings >> Network Settings configuration on DHCP, so perhaps the CF forced the HDR to DHCP during a reboot. The next question is why.

Make sure your box ip address is outside the dhcp range. Mine is set at dhcp 1 to 199 and static 200 to 254. You maybe already do this?

Make sure your box ip address is outside the dhcp range. Mine is set at dhcp 1 to 199 and static 200 to 254. You maybe already do this?
It occurred to me that I probably hadn't done this as I just ticked a box on the router to tell it to always allocate the same address to each Humax box. So I had a poke around and it seems this router doesn't have a DHCP range facility. The instructions say that by default it will always use the same address for a device unless it runs out of addresses (it has a table of all the devices that have connected and which can be deleted); the option I ticked is just in addition to that, so if it does run out of addresses it won't reallocate those.

One for the books.:)
BH asks a question that is answered in a previous detailed post made by....... BH :roflmao::roflmao:
Senior moment?

Eh? I don't think my "previous detailed post" covers the HDR flipping out of manual to DHCP of its own accord!

So, a few minutes ago I booted the boxes to set up some recordings (using the on-screen systems). While they were on I took the opportunity to check the cfw status using webif. One box was on-line and one not. On checking the off-line one in the Humax menu it showed as not connected (no surprise) and in the LAN menu it showed as Manual with the default address (192.***.***.100). Without changing any settings I moved to the wireless page and did 'Apply'. After a few seconds it reported connected. On going back to the LAN menu it now says DHCP and the appropriate address 192....26.
So what manual actually means in Humax programmer speak I have no idea :confused:

Back