[network-shares-automount] package released

I have. With virtual disk 2, I get a popup onscreen each time I start the system telling me the system has found a usb drive and asking me what I want to do.

I don't get that with virtual disk.
That's expected as virtual disk 2 pretends to be a USB drive. You'd get the same with a real USB stick plugged in too, which is what people had to do before virtual disk 2 in order to be able to properly see the remote mounts as disks.

That's expected as virtual disk 2 pretends to be a USB drive. You'd get the same with a real USB stick plugged in too, which is what people had to do before virtual disk 2 in order to be able to properly see the remote mounts as disks.

Yes, I can see that, but it is so annoying to the rest of the household, I have removed it. We generally watch TV via the hummy boxes rather than the tv tuner, because of rewind, pause, etc, and having a popup onscreen that has to be removed is just annoying. Sorry.

If a real USB drive is present during boot, no pop-up appears. The pop-up only turns up if the drive is plugged in after boot. I don't know if this means the virtual drive can somehow be present before humaxtv gets going.

Has anybody tried this with NFS instead of SMB? I don't seem to be able to get HDR1 to mount HDR3 as NFS.

I have installed nfs-utils on HDR3 and rebooted, does it need any further configuration?

I have installed network-shares-automount on HDR1, which is already providing a Samba share to my HD-FOX, and edited up the auto-folders in the NFS section:

[ModSettings]
nfs
HDRFOX3
folder=Media
host=192_168_1_75
mac=ABABABABABAB
shareFolder=off
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?​
The HDR1 end probably works; most of the time nothing shows up under Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB except my external drive, but just once there was an "HDRFOX3" item listed (but selecting it did nothing).

So what's likely to be wrong at the HDR3 end?

I don't really use network-shares-automount but nfs-utils is setup to export '/mnt/hd2' so I suggest you try the setting 'folder=_mnt_hd2'.

Should be ok without modifying the exports file, shouldn't it?

Doh - beaten to it while I went off to test it before hitting Post : )

Despite not being mounted into My Video, the HDR3 mount is confusing HDR1's pie chart. It says I have 477GB available and shows about half full, when I know I only have about 50GB available on the 500GB drive. I don't understand why this is, when "HDRFOX3" (my chosen host name for HDR3) appears in the USB list.

I have seen an incorrect disk space indication when a cifs mount is created outside of the /media tree. When I created a second mount (to the same destination) directly under /media it would then be correct. I think network-shares-automount creates its mounts under /media so this is probably a different problem.

Because I have HDR1 shared by SMB, I can see the USB drives when connected from HD-FOX, and the HDRFOX3 "drive" appears there and I can connect through to it. Lousy performance though!

I added HDR3's details to my HD-FOX automount set, all OK :)

It is not possible for both Humax's to act as Client and Server. So you need to decide which direction suits you best, from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, but not in both directions.

I think this is needlessly pessimistic.

I have achieved HDR1 sharing its content too the network, and receiving a share from HDR3, by using SMB out and NFS in. I have not yet completed the loop and made HDR3 mount the HDR1 yet, but I have hopes. Unfortunately, as noted in post 455 above, the NFS mount upsets the Humax disk space calculation. It remains to be seen whether an SMB mount upsets the calculation (when I mount HDR1 on HDR3).

I can however provide a bit more data. jsrobo was (I think) using SMB only. I have network-shares-automount (unused) on HDR3 (which loads cifs as a dependency), and nfs-utils. With my HD-FOX I have functional mounts for HDR1 by SMB and HDR3 by NFS. I then loaded samba onto HDR3.

I can't quite remember the details how I got there (I have done some playing about, it didn't work straight off), but as it stands now the HD-FOX can see HDR1 (SMB), HDR3 (NFS), and HDR3a (SMB). HDR1 however can only see HDR3, not HDR3a (the mount exists but contains nothing). This suggests the presence of samba prevents cifs working properly.

Update: the problem has now resolved itself, and HDR3a is mounted as well as HDR3.

This is getting better and better. Now the SMB mount shows up, I disabled the NFS mount and my HDR1 pie chart is back to normal.

Problem: I can't find a way to mount the SMB directly into My Video. I tried the same method as with NFS but no joy. I tried enclosing My Video in speech marks, no joy. I tried enclosing "Media_My Video" in speech marks, no joy. What to do? Would it work any better if I made a symbolic link to My Video with an easier string for the name?

Problem: I can't find a way to mount the SMB directly into My Video. I tried the same method as with NFS but no joy. I tried enclosing My Video in speech marks, no joy. I tried enclosing "Media_My Video" in speech marks, no joy.#

"Media_My Video" is not a valid path, try 'Media/My Video' unless this to get around the Network Shares Automount reserved characters rule

Back