Networking advice please

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I have two single port TP-Link powerline adapters in a double socket connecting my router to my two Humaxs and I have had no problems with this set up. I now need a third ethernet outlet for a streaming device.
My options seem to be either
1) Buy a TP-Link 3 way powerline adapter for about 80 or 90 pounds
2) Buy a 5 way switch for about 10 pounds
Would a switch work okay if it is connected to one of the powerline adapters and removing the other ? I am unable to run an ethernet cable from the router to where I need this output.
Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks

I have an ethernet switch attached to a Homeplug. Works perfectly. Multiple homeplugs seems an odd - and expensive - way of doing things. Also, it's generally recommended that homeplugs should not be used in extension sockets which might be relevant here.

Thanks @fenlander - sounds like the way to go.
I was given a set of powerline plugs which is why I use them.
Can you advise what speed your homeplug is ? Mine are of an age (200 Mbps). I do appreciate that I don't get that speed...

I use a "TP-Link TL-WA860RE N300 Universal Range Extender with Extra Power Outlet" to do the same job. It has an ethernet output socket and 13A passthru so doesn't need a separate mains outlet. I've used one of these for two or three years now with very little hassle.

Thanks @fenlander - sounds like the way to go.
I was given a set of powerline plugs which is why I use them.
Can you advise what speed your homeplug is ? Mine are of an age (200 Mbps). I do appreciate that I don't get that speed...
It's a pair of Netgear PL1000s (kindly donated by Virgin Media when they updated my hub), rated gigabit. That said, they actually move data as fast as the Humax will let them, which is about one tenth of that speed. I also have a network streamer attached which is also a 10/100 device, so the theoretical throughput of the homeplug is really irrelevant as it easily exceeds that of either of the attached devices. Come to think of it, the ethernet hub is also 10/100...

Back