Networking

Do we know if "Normal" WiFi dongles will work in the HD and HDR boxes? I thought that perhaps you had to have "Special" ones purchased from Humax.
As a follow up to this, I have just tried plugging an 802.11N wireless USB adaptor in both front and rear USB ports of my HDR, and nothing happens. So perhaps you do need a special dongle after all.

Do you have the beta software, it's only enabled in new system options in the new software. You don't need the 1.02.xx portal s/w but you do need post 1.01.09

No, I didn't apply to test WiFi dongles so didn't get the beta software, so that may be why it does not work then. I wonder if anyone on here has managed to get them working.

Yes generally that is correct - a hub simply resends the data received on a port to all others.
The throughput you actually get may be way off the theoretical maximum for gigabit though - for lots of reasons.

Thanks for confirming that, and yes, I am aware that real-world speeds are significantly less that the "headline" speed - at least it shoudl be ~10 times faster than Fast Ethernet :) I'll be using it for backing up 10s of GB.

Just bought myself a Intel PRO 1000/MT card off eBay and a Zyxel 5-port switch and a couple of Cat6 cables off Amazon.

just plugged my chosen homeplugs in devolo dlan 200 av+, £72.99 from dabs.com, and its picked up my pc straight away, cant seem to access any media files tho, manual not a great deal of help.

the cockpit bit seems to say 183mbits/sec, that seems pretty fast??

tv portal screens all there and just called up iplayer, seems a bit sluggish to populate, havent tried playing anything yet!

dog walk then more playing with it

right then, tv portal works fine so theres obviously no problem getting the input from the modem thru my electric cables, so clever isnt it?

however with regards to playing media files from my pc i seem to have hit a brick wall, it recognises the pc, but when i try to look at the media, it just says connecting and spins for a while before going back to the menu screen. i assume its something i've not done at the pc end? manual useless for any advice and the online bit no better. anyone there able to offer any advice please??

right then, tv portal works fine so theres obviously no problem getting the input from the modem thru my electric cables, so clever isnt it?

however with regards to playing media files from my pc i seem to have hit a brick wall, it recognises the pc, but when i try to look at the media, it just says connecting and spins for a while before going back to the menu screen. i assume its something i've not done at the pc end? manual useless for any advice and the online bit no better. anyone there able to offer any advice please??

Have you shared the folders you want the box to access ?.

do what?? not done anything like that graham, cant seem to be able to add the t2 to my devices list either, damn this electric wizardry and my ageing brain!

do what?? not done anything like that graham, cant seem to be able to add the t2 to my devices list either, damn this electric wizardry and my ageing brain!
Not sure which version of windoze you have :). Open windows file explorer and right click on a drive or folder icon and choose share.

all sorted now, couldnt get tversity to start server, but used google and opened windows media centre and now i can play all my videos on my tv!! how bloody clever is that!!

windows 7 btw, so if theres an easier way to get things down the ethernet then please advise me?

guess i'll have to have wmc running every time i want to play a file?

do most people leave homeplugs in situ constantly then? i have my trailing socket plugged into one in lounge for hummy and tv, and into trailing socket with no pass thru beside pc upstairs

guess i'll have to have wmc running every time i want to play a file?

Yup, you can only access media files using a DLNA server, which is what WMC is. You can't just browse your PC

do most people leave homeplugs in situ constantly then? i have my trailing socket plugged into one in lounge for hummy and tv, and into trailing socket with no pass thru beside pc upstairs

I leave mine permanently connected. One in the kitchen by the HomeHub, a 3-port one upstairs with my AirPort Extreme WiFi & Gigabit router (actually configured as a bridge) plugged in, and a remote 4-port one (one of these) in the lounge for the TV, BD Player, and Hummy. Mine are all 85Mbps which is plenty fast enough for my needs (until we get BT Infinity, then I'll need to re-assess it).

still not certain that tversity is doing anything, keeps saying server not running, but WMC is def open, any tips anyone??

quality is great on both network and iplayer, tho a bit troublesome when trying to ffwd or pause, crashed and rebooted t2 once

just bought t2 off ebay £212 for my dad, he'll be well pleased with that, upgraded from 9200 so he'll notice the difference for sure!!

in the end i uninstalled tversity, then reinstalled and its all fine and dandy now, seem to have two different ways to access, guess the original WMC and now TVeristy too, will get round to deleting one at some point

pleased with my day off all in all!!

cool - I also have TVersity installed but I find that it keeps stopping the server each time my Pc goes to sleep. I have the auto start option selected but it keeps doing it.. guess I need a day off too to figure it out ;)

Back