Never put 'F' where the door is!

Google too. Apparently they are desperately trying to prevent it, but I think even they don't have as much power as they think they do :p

Tannoy has become generic for any public address systems.

Apparently "The company's intellectual property department keeps a close eye on the media and will often write to publications that use its trade name without a capital letter or as a generic term for PA systems, in order to preserve its trademark."

I heard a reference to 'the Tannoy' in a recently made film that had a yesteryear setting, and it sounded wrong (a goof like the plastic water bottle on the mantlepiece in Downton Abbey) but when I looked it up, it turned out the company was founded in the 1920s and had trademarked Tannoy by 1932 - so the reference was appropriate.

("Tannoy is a syllabic abbreviation of tantalum alloy, which was the material used in a type of electrolytic rectifier developed by the company. It became a household name as a result of supplying PA systems to the armed forces during World War II, and to Butlins and Pontins holiday camps after the war.")

Back