New 1.02.27 firmware

Just to summarise the 4GB issue, for the standard firmware it imposes a hard limit on DLNA streaming with the HD/HDR-FOX as client. This is only a significant problem for HiDef.

As standard, the various protections make the only practical streaming of HiDef recordings from the HDR-FOX being to the HD-FOX (able to negotiate HDCP). Auto-unprotect makes it possible to stream HiDef to a greater range of devices by eliminating the HDCP, but that of course requires custom firmware on the HDR-FOX server (and is the means to make decrypt work).

Installing the custom firmware plus CIFS on the HDR-FOX makes it possible to mount Windows-networked drives as if they were connected by USB. This does indeed make SUI copy-decrypt available direct to the network drive, HiDef requires Foxy or "Clear Enc" first (auto-unprotect will also do the job). The DLNA server / client is not implicated in this operation.

Installing the custom firmware plus Samba on the HDR-FOX makes it possible to access the internal and USB drives on a Windows network. Without any other actions recordings accessed this way will be encrypted. To defeat this I have auto-unprotect and unencrypt running, which renders a completely unprotected recording available shortly after the recording is made.

Because of the 4GB bug, I installed Samba on the HDR-FOX, and CIFS plus auto-mount on the HD-FOX. This gives me "USB" access to the HDR-FOX drive and its recordings BUT bypasses all the decryption processes as well so auto-unprotect plus unencrypt are essential. Needless to say I am grateful and in awe of the people who made this possible.

I won't be going back, despite the 4GB fix, because the additional functionality of USB playback compared with DLNA playback outweighs the inconvenience of having to wait a little while until the recording is decrypted. Also, decrypting at source makes it easier to back up (as if..). However, for the less geeky user streaming HDR content to an HD-FOX in the bedroom with no fuss, the 4GB fix means they are unlikely to want to go further.

Back