New 2TB HDD failing?

Lawrence

Gents,

Back in January I replaced my failing factory HDD with a Seagate ST2000VM003 - Pipeline HD (2TB).

All has been good except this week I started getting a warning message in the webif and this was followed a day or so later with a noise from the HDD like chink wirr that you get from an external hdd when it switches off and parks the heads. This noise was heard during a recording that promptly stopped, followed by the unit restarting.
I ran the extended fix disk that seemed to fix a lots of sectors.
It ran okay for another week and it all started again.
I then got the on screen message "HDD needs formatting before recordings etc."

So I have copied off all my recordings to my network share and refomatted the partitions and started from scratch with a reinstall of the webif etc.

Now my questions;
1. Does the collective think this new drive is faulty or
2. is it the PSU failing causing the HDD to stop and causing the subsequent drive problems?

also as an aside;
3. when I finished the partitioning and rebooted the hd3 (/dev/sda3) was not mounted nor is it listed in the fstab??? I mounted it manually and all is good once again...

smart diag attached
IMG_1084.jpg

Okay, well I just checked and it was bought on 28th Feb 2015, so well within warranty I'll have to fetch it out and put one of my spare NAS drives in for the time being and get on the seagate website and get it replaced..
Actually looking on amazon they have the 1TB for £48 so might just get that instead as having the network storage means I dont need the hassle of formatting a 2TB..

Thanks..

Why is formatting a 2TB drive a hassle? The Humax should do it from the storage menu.

I would wait for other opinions though.

That's out of date since about 1.02.32. Subsequent firmware revisions support 2TB.
I'm running 1.03.12 and it wouldn't do it when I tried to do it earlier.

But I just tried again and it looks like it will as I got the warning and code request this time, I wonder if the unmounted partition caused it to fail..

Well, my lads youview is currently stuck in standby so if I get my 2TB replaced he can have the 1TB as a spare for his if it ever starts up again...

Last edited:
update; Seagate will not replace the 2TB under warranty as the disk is sold as an OEM component. Went back to Amazon who have simply offered a refund and a postage paid rma to take the faulty disk back.

update; Seagate will not replace the 2TB under warranty as the disk is sold as an OEM component. Went back to Amazon who have simply offered a refund and a postage paid rma to take the faulty disk back.

This is why I buy from Amazon, they take stuff back without any fuss and even make it easy. The only other place that is as good is John Lewis, who I buy lots of stuff from.

Back