New 5000T Very Hot And Screen Anomaly

davey64

Just bought a new 5000T and the first thing that I notice is that it runs very, very hot, so I was wondering if this was normal. The next observation is when switching between channels and the screen goes dark with the selected channel indicated on the top right of the screen there is a distinct moire pattern emanating from the top right corner of the screen that spreads out to just over a third of the screen. Once the new channel has opened and the channel number disappears then there is no more pattern visible, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Other things that I have noticed is that it does seem to get confused quite easily and becomes unresponsive requiring me to disconnect it from the mains and restarting. I bought this to replace my 10 year old Humax 9200T, which does still work although rather clunky and forgetful, I kind of think that it has a better UI than the 5000T where you seem to have to perform two or three button presses on the remote where on the older box one would do. Any thoughts or advice gratefully accepted as I am seriously thinking of returning it, but wouldn't know what to replace it with.

Thanks.

davey64 - did you end up keeping or returning your 5000T?
I have just taken delivery of a refurbished 5000T which exhibits identical behaviour to your machine i.e. very hot (especially towards the right rear and underneath of the machine) as well as the black pattern during the brief pause on changing channel. Either it is a common fault or I have ended up with your 'reject' ;-)
[The last 4 digits of the serial no. are 2821]

The pattern is not a fault, it is a graphic design feature. How obvious it is depends on how the tv is set up. And yes, they do run hot!

David

davey64 - did you end up keeping or returning your 5000T?
I have just taken delivery of a refurbished 5000T which exhibits identical behaviour to your machine i.e. very hot (especially towards the right rear and underneath of the machine) as well as the black pattern during the brief pause on changing channel. Either it is a common fault or I have ended up with your 'reject' ;-)
[The last 4 digits of the serial no. are 2821]
Hi
I took back my 5000T and got it replaced with another new one, the first thing I noticed the replacement was made in the EU, I believe the first one was made in China.
The replacement runs warm to hot, but nothing like the ferocious heat of the first one, which when I returned it the top casing was beginning to show signs of a bulge.
The replacement although running the same firmware/ software version of the original has no problem remembering settings and does not get confused, and has never needed to be shut down and restarted.
The moire pattern is still visible when changing channel, and if whilst watching a programme you press the OK button to get info up you will notice a series of lines appear above the info box, these are less intrusive. I hardly think these are a graphics design feature as they are ugly, especially the pattern on the channel display corner. I have learned to put up with it as I think it just down to poor software development and layer transparency bit depth, it does not interfere with normal viewing of programmes or recordings. I am afraid I don't have the serial number of my first box so you can compare, mine was the 500GB version.
If you think that the unit you have is running extremely hot, so hot it is worrying you I would see if you can get it replaced. I bought mine from John Lewis which has a very good returns policy, although I do understand that yours is a refurbished model, Where did you buy yours, was it direct from Humax, if so they should replace it if that is what you want. New price at John Lewis is £199.00, £30.00 cheaper than when I bought it.

The moire pattern is still visible when changing channel, and if whilst watching a programme you press the OK button to get info up you will notice a series of lines appear above the info box, these are less intrusive.
My suspicion is that these effects you see are an interaction between the resolution the graphics are generated at, the resolution of the HDMI output, and the resolution of your TV.

What video format have you got your HDMI output set for, and is your TV screen 1080x1920?

My tv is 1920x1080. I have tried all video resolutions and the effect is the same. I am convinced this is a graphic not a fault. However, I don't see lines above the info box so that is probably a fault.

David

The pattern is not a fault, it is a graphic design feature. How obvious it is depends on how the tv is set up. And yes, they do run hot!

David
That is reassuring to hear running hot is 'normal' - until your comment on this thread no one else had commented on how hot a properly working box was. I thought that the heat on my box was somehow responsible for the pattern. It happens at all resolutions but is easy to ignore, so I will live with it.

Hi
I took back my 5000T and got it replaced with another new one, the first thing I noticed the replacement was made in the EU, I believe the first one was made in China.
The replacement runs warm to hot, but nothing like the ferocious heat of the first one, which when I returned it the top casing was beginning to show signs of a bulge.
The replacement although running the same firmware/ software version of the original has no problem remembering settings and does not get confused, and has never needed to be shut down and restarted.
The moire pattern is still visible when changing channel, and if whilst watching a programme you press the OK button to get info up you will notice a series of lines appear above the info box, these are less intrusive. I hardly think these are a graphics design feature as they are ugly, especially the pattern on the channel display corner. I have learned to put up with it as I think it just down to poor software development and layer transparency bit depth, it does not interfere with normal viewing of programmes or recordings. I am afraid I don't have the serial number of my first box so you can compare, mine was the 500GB version.
If you think that the unit you have is running extremely hot, so hot it is worrying you I would see if you can get it replaced. I bought mine from John Lewis which has a very good returns policy, although I do understand that yours is a refurbished model, Where did you buy yours, was it direct from Humax, if so they should replace it if that is what you want. New price at John Lewis is £199.00, £30.00 cheaper than when I bought it.

I got my refurb 5000T in an auction on ebay for £96 so thought it worth a punt. Mine too is a made in EU model, so not your 'reject' after all.

Anyone know if there is any fan(s) inside the case of the 5000T? I assume there is not as it has an external power supply, and would explain why the case gets hot.

You're correct, there is no fan.
I'm not aware of any being made in China - both of mine are made in the EU, as is my HB-1000S.

David

My suspicion is that these effects you see are an interaction between the resolution the graphics are generated at, the resolution of the HDMI output, and the resolution of your TV.

What video format have you got your HDMI output set for, and is your TV screen 1080x1920?
So had a quick check of the settings on the TV. Its a Sony HD TV, so in Display> Video Input Settings> HDMI Dynamic Range set the HDMI 1 from Full to Auto and this has helped minimise the moire effect.
Also in Display> Picture> Advanced Settings I set the Black Corrector to Low, and the Advanced Contrast Control to Off. A combination of these three have reduced the prominence of the effect but if you go looking for it
it is still there.

A combination of these three have reduced the prominence of the effect but if you go looking for it
it is still there.
There is definitely some sort of subtle shading to the background (which seems utterly pointless to me); as you have discovered what you see will be influenced by the TV image processing capability and options selected. Hence we all end up seeing something slightly different.

Have you set the option to not show the background video through the guide and other displays ?

Settings - General Settings - On screen Display - Transparent Background - OFF

Back