New Box received from Maplin

grahamlthompson

Just picked up one of the £85.00 boxes from Maplin , it came with 1.02.28 firmware.

I have flashed it with CF 1.02.32 but have a couple of issues.

Package list doesn't include any auto decrypt options.

I have tried to install either version of the Virtual Disk which appears to work OK, but I don't in fact have a virtual drive on the unit.

Any ideas.

I have tried to install either version of the Virtual Disk which appears to work OK, but I don't in fact have a virtual drive on the unit.
Where are you looking for it? The virtual drive appears on the USB list, and as a destination option for a file copy operation (or in the WebIF media browser directly under /Media) as "virtual".

I'm not sure why you want a virtual drive anyway, the modern decryption options don't need it. virtual-disk2 can be handy to persuade the Humax to "see" a remote mount (which also appears in the USB list), but comes with the annoying side effect that the Humax pops up the USB menu on screen each boot - it's simpler just to plug in a real UPD.

The information linked to from Things Every... (click) section 5 provide every detail of what is required for all the methods of decryption.

I sometimes want to access an encrypted recording quickly. Copying it to the virtual drive is a convenient way to do this. How long does it take for encrypted recordings to decrypt without manual intervention ?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Automatic decryption has to wait for the DLNA indexer to find the new recording, and then the WebIF auto-processes scan for a task every ten minutes. They are also given a lower processing priority than anything done through the Humax SUI.

How long does it take for encrypted recordings to decrypt without manual intervention ?

Assuming the Humax is still on, automatic decryption should kick off within 10 minutes of the recording ending. Coming updates will reduce that interval but sometimes it's still better to be in control.

Back