New channels

actonboy62

Hi....the BBC are launching new HD channels tomorrow, 10th December. I read somewhere that new channels are automatically added to the EPG. Is this correct or would I need to do an installation.
I have a PVR 9-150T and when I add channels I lose the schedule list and have to reinstall them. Should I be making a list of my schedule in case they disappear from the HDR-FOX-T2?

Cheers

The new HD channels fall into two groups, one lot will be added to an existing MUX and another lot will on a new MUX (called COM7) that has only recently become active, the HDR Fox T2 will need a re-tune to find both of these groups of new HD Channels and Yes, you will need to make a note of your Recording Schedule and Favourites list (if you have one) as they are both erased during a re-scan. Both schedule and favourites are automatically backed up by the Custom Firmware, but without it you would have to make notes or maybe photograph the TV screen while displaying you schedule

Not sure, but the custom firmware backs up your schedule automatically.

Off topic; I'm a bit disappointed Film 4 isn't HD.. would rather have that than BBC3/BBC4.

The new HD channels fall into two groups, one lot will be added to an existing MUX and another lot will new a new MUX (called COM7) that has only recently become active, the HDR Fox T2 will need a re-tune to find both of these groups of new HD Channels and Yes, you will need to make a note of your Recording Schedule and Favourites list (if you have one) as they are both erased during a re-scan. Both schedule and favourites are automatically backed up by the Custom Firmware, but without it you would have to make notes or maybe photograph the TV screen while displaying you schedule
Thanks for the info.....much appreciated.

Hi....the BBC are launching new HD channels tomorrow, 10th December. I read somewhere that new channels are automatically added to the EPG. Is this correct or would I need to do an installation.
I have a PVR 9-150T and when I add channels I lose the schedule list and have to reinstall them. Should I be making a list of my schedule in case they disappear from the HDR-FOX-T2?
You can add services by manually tuning just the channel numbers that carry them, and only services carried on the same channel numbers will be deleted from your recording schedule. Re tuning, see Things Every... (click) section 2.

However, as stated, if you are running an up-to-date custom firmware, WebIF etc, you can now just do an automatic retune and everything will (should) get automatically restored from the most recent auto-backup.

I agree......maybe they will put it on freeview soon.

Unlikely. HD content is quite restricted (and encrypted). It's all about the MONEY.
Film companies will probably demand a high fee from broadcasters for transmitting HD, because people will record it and not bother buying DVD or BluRay discs which is obviously an income stream.
Most HD channels only show the odd film, so the costs presumably wouldn't be horrendous, but Film4 is of course all films.
I'd think BBC own most of their content for BBC3 & 4 so probably not an issue for them to bung them onto HD.

Not all transmitters will have COM7, you need to check if yours is one of these. Additionally the power is lower so even if your transmitter has COM 7 you may not be able to use it.

If your transmitter does not have COM7 now it may do in the future. For example, my local transmitter at Hannington is not scheduled to have COM7 until March 2014. I see that there is also a COM8 in the pipeline...

Also, you may have noticed that the HD Red Button channel (303) has disappeared to free up capacity for the new HD channels.

Cheers,

Peter

You can add services by manually tuning just the channel numbers that carry them, and only services carried on the same channel numbers will be deleted from your recording schedule. Re tuning, see Things Every... (click) section 2.

However, as stated, if you are running an up-to-date custom firmware, WebIF etc, you can now just do an automatic retune and everything will (should) get automatically restored from the most recent auto-backup.

Have I missed something? Its been a while since I looked in but automatic retune used to be discouraged because of the problem with duplicate channels messing up the epg, causing problems with AR etc. Has something changed so that this is no longer an issue?

Have I missed something? Its been a while since I looked in but automatic retune used to be discouraged because of the problem with duplicate channels messing up the epg, causing problems with AR etc. Has something changed so that this is no longer an issue?
Version 1.02.32 does a better job of automatic tuning; in our location it works perfectly where previously we got a hoorible mix from three different transmitters. I have seen reports of 1.02.32 getting things wrong for some people but my sense of things is that it is a definite improvement.

Thanks Martin - have just downloaded 1.02.32 and will give it a go. Now need the updated CF.

Hadn't realised how out of date I had become!

So - I have installed 1.02.32 and CF 2.20. Then did a manual retune and restored favourites and schedules from backup. It has picked up the new HD channels and Film 4 which I had lost. However I do have duplicates in the 800+ range - specifically BBC1 West Midlands and BBC1 West ( ch 1 and 833 ). Oddly ITV only appears on ch 800 and ITV HD on 103. All the others in the 800 - 1011 range are shown as unknown.

Does the fact that I have 800+ numbers indicate I'm likely to get recording errors or does they're being "unknown" mean there will be no confusion? ( with the possible exception of BBC1. ). I'm assuming that HD and SD versions of channels do not get confused in this way.

On the whole, it's not a good idea to have channels in the 800+ range. It usually means that you are receiving transmissions from more than one transmitter. The effect of which can cause problems. Having said that, some users I believe, like to have a choice.

If it were me, I would do a manual scan selecting the MUX's appropriate for your 'best' transmitter. Remember to erase existing channel data first. You do this by starting an automatic channel scan then cancelling it straight away then pressing save. Also, don't forget to change the scan settings from DVB-T to DVB-T2 when searching on the HD MUX. Failure to do so will result in no HD channels being found

I wasn't recommending an auto-scan as such, only offering it as an easy route when there are no 800+ issues. It's all covered in Things Every... (click) section 2.

I had previously used manual tuning to overcome this problem and only updated to 1.02.32 because it supposedly sorted it - it doesn't! So bit of a waste of time really.
It does strike me as preposterous that a piece of consumer electronics can't handle such a basic function adequately. What's the betting that the vast majority of T2s out there are improperly tuned? Most viewers haven't a clue a which transmitters they receive and wouldn't know a MUX if it bit their hand. Nor should they need to.
Ah well - moan over. I'll manually retune they get back to enjoying the T2, because it is really good and only occasionally annoying.

I had previously used manual tuning to overcome this problem and only updated to 1.02.32 because it supposedly sorted it - it doesn't! So bit of a waste of time really.
Could you explain what multiplex channels you end up with and what transmitter you are receiving from?

I live in Stroud Gloucestershire and the recommended transmitter is Ridge Hill though the Stroud and Wenvoe transmitters are also rated as good. Auto tuning brings up TV channels from all of these hence the duplicates, though 1.02.32 does bring up fewer.

I've manually retuned using Ridge Hill channels 21, 22,24, 25,28. As I was tuning the signal quality and strength showed up as good on all channels though just now looking at them via WebIf only channel 24 shows a good signal. I haven't actually watched anything yet but previously never had any issues with picture so maybe its just the WebIf display.

I've manually retuned using Ridge Hill channels 21, 22,24, 25,28. As I was tuning the signal quality and strength showed up as good on all channels though just now looking at them via WebIf only channel 24 shows a good signal. I haven't actually watched anything yet but previously never had any issues with picture so maybe its just the WebIf display.
There is an issue with the webif channel information not displaying correctly after manual tuning, I think that it only shows correct details for the last MUX tuned.

I live in Stroud Gloucestershire and the recommended transmitter is Ridge Hill though the Stroud and Wenvoe transmitters are also rated as good. Auto tuning brings up TV channels from all of these hence the duplicates, though 1.02.32 does bring up fewer.
What I was hoping for was the details of what multiplex channels were tuned so they can be passed on to Humax. The only way these problems get fixed is for the people affected to make the effort to report them rather than just moaning.

Back