New Codes

James

Can anybody confirm if the new software has any more codes included in it? (I have a HD so cn't update yet) - If not Im going to get a popcorn hour until the new version is here, and then start hacking it.

I was under the impression all the codecs were in hardware. If they add software-based codecs it would be too much strain on the CPU (for video that is).

I think it has most common codecs anyway does it not? It's the containers it has more problem with (e.g. mkv) which I think will be implemented in software.

Yes I did mean Codecs - it was my iphone doing some auto spelling for me.......
The codecs should be software based - nobody uses fixed hardware decoding for a long time as CPUs are now upto the task of doing video decoding without them (although many GPUs have routines in them to help out)
Thanks for the info - but were these results not from the old version of the software?

Also when streaming DNLA may not serve some files that can actually be played (I think:confused:). The same happens on my Sony BD player that will happily play an mkv off a USB stick/drive but doesn't even see the same file when served via DNLA off my NAS. Aint technology wonderful:rolleyes:

Yes I did mean Codecs - The codecs should be software based - nobody uses fixed hardware decoding for a long time as CPUs are now upto the task
The Humax does not use software codecs, Only hardware codecs, You are correct in saying Modern P.C.s can do it in software but they have much faster CPUs than the Humax, and take a lot more than 20Watts total power to do it.

The Humax does not use software codecs, Only hardware codecs, You are correct in saying Modern P.C.s can do it in software but they have much faster CPUs than the Humax, and take a lot more that 20Watts total power to do it.

sounds like we're transcoding for the rest of the units life

Back