New Drive and CF what to do?

Slade2

I all not sure where to post this but here goes anyway.

I have recently just purchased a new 1TB drive for my old 500g one that has been a little work horse for me. Currently I running

Web interface version : 1.015-8
Custom firmware version: 2.22 (build 1905)
Humax Version : 1.03.12 (Kernel HDR_1.03.12)

Now, the reason for the post. I have looked around (adept briefly) for what I need to do to upgrade everything. I am fairly confident with the actual drive replacement but what do I need to do after I have installed the new drive with regards to the CF? Ideally I would like to keep the packages and settings that I have currently and I will probably get around to a complete retune since I read that was better with 1.03.12 becuase I did have issues with multiple channels in the past. I suppose what I am after is a complete idoits guide on what to do to return my humax box to the wonderful piece of equipment it is following the drive upgrade.

Many thanks,

Steve.

I have replaced a 1TB drive with a new one of the same size. I used Seagate Disk Wizard (based on Acronis True Image) to clone the drive. This tool is free, it is Windows based but your PC OS will need to be running on a Maxtor or Seagate drive to work. It may be more complicated as your source and target drives are different sizes. Plenty of other clone tools are available.
A quicker method involves reinstalling your packages. This is not as onerous as it first seems. Look in Web-If>Package Management and make a copy of your installed package list (screenshots, copy and paste etc.). Also look in settings and note any non-default settings you have. Install the new disk and let the HDR-FOX format it. In your browser, if you try and open Web-If, you will be back to the 'download full interface page' like a new install. Download and reboot. Then you can reinstall your packages and settings manually. If you have any programmes on the old drive you can use a USB to SATA adapter to connect it to the USB port on the hummy and copy them over.

Ok, thanks for the replys, Would it be best to update everything to the lasest CF first? before the drive swap or after? I have a load of stuff on the old drive that I would like to keep but I can just copy over the stuff that is on that drive by attaching it to my main PC and copying over the network so I dont think that it an issue, I am more worried that some of the stuff is corrupted now and wont copy but will shall see.

help!, I installed CW 3.00 and did the drive upgrade. I also removed the orange cover over the front panel display and have gone green! the drive formated ok but I get the following errors. On screen it just says now ` USB device has encoutered an error. Remove the USB to prevent system failure.`

Also the webif page is telling me now that now drive has been detected.

Oh man that was a bot worrying, I managed to sort the problem, just for info if this happens to anyone else. I had inadvertantly shorted the USB lead that earths it to the case by allowing the the shrouding of the wire to touch one of the pins on the back of the circuit board which was obviously giving me the USB error and not allowing the webif to find the drive.

Ok, I have installed and formatted now and update everything and installed all packages. I would imagine its worth just doing a new channel scan as well since I probably have not done ones for 2 years or so. I had a lot of trouble with multiple channels being added to 800+ but I have read that seems to be better implimented in 1.02.13? is that correct. I think currently I dont have film 4 so that would be a nice addition. I have 1 question. I have put the old drive in my pc and window disk management sees it and tells me its health but I cant read it with the file system I was hoping to copy over the stuff from it and perhaps run some stuff from it from the PC end anyone have any ideas on this?

ok, thanks Erza, is there anyway I can get window to read the data off the drive? so I can then copy the information back to the new drive in the humax over the network connection that is now working?

Yeap, I googled ext2 and managed to download and install the drivers inbetween the posts. I can see all the files and can now proceed to copy over the ones I need. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all there help, one happy man here and I`m sure my wife will be happy when I tell here all her recordings didnt get deleted and I can slowly start to restore the stuff she wants onto the new drive. Thanks again

Don't forget to copy all the small files that are associated with the main *.ts file, eg:- the *.hmt, *.thm and *.nts files

I just copied over a lot of files that were recorded over the last few days for the kids and tried to run dedup on them, it was only after copying over all the other little files that it worked. Is there something that would Dedup files automatically now? not that I mind doing it manually but it would be better ofc if it was just done :) My kids can never tell which ones is which and Daddy gets shouted at often for `putting the wrong one on` I am kinda hoping I could avoid this now? Would a channel rescan at this point be a good idea? refering to my post above and the fact that I have not done a rescan for about 2 years :)

The CFW Web-If has a built-in feature called Enable Auto Dedup (WiKi Notes HERE) that works on a selected folder. You should find quite a few changes in available channels if you haven't done a re-scan for years, and the newer firmware is reportedly better at dealing with duplicate channels, I would play safe though and note down the MUXs you are currently using just in case the re-scan messes things up, use Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection >> {then navigate right} this will display all the MUXs you are currently using, make a note of these numbers, in my area there are 8 MUXs but you may have 6, 7 or 8 of them

Yeap, I googled ext2 and managed to download and install the drivers inbetween the posts. I can see all the files and can now proceed to copy over the ones I need.
In substituting a drive you should be able to just use a USB to sata cable and plug it into the USB port of the HDR and then just use the HDR's remote to select all and then copy over in one command. Worked for me on a dying old drive.

Would a channel rescan at this point be a good idea? refering to my post above and the fact that I have not done a rescan for about 2 years :)
I'd leave it untill you have a bit of time to set up the schedule again as retuning will delete all your timers.

All find and dandy here now. Copied over some of the stuff and have some more to do later. I have added auto-dedup to some of the Kids TV shows which is working really well. I have a problem where the root directory of the main drive become really clutered what with all the kids stuff that I have to record for the little ones. There there a way to get the box to dump all kids recordings into say for example a Kids directory? Films, into a Films directory and Drama into a Drama dir? you get the idea, this would help wonderfully with my OCD when it comes to effective directory structures! :)

Back