New DTR-T1010 1TB Youview box first impressions

aks100

I have an old Humax PVR-9200, it was slow and a bit clunky, but we've got used to it and it generally works fine. I also got an HDR-FOX T2 for my mother-in-law and that seems pretty good.

However, I thought let's get a modern box and went for Youview for catch-up services.

My day 1 findings:

1. Boot process is woeful in eco mode HIGH, so I've switched to eco mode LOW. Now when powered off the hard disk seems to be on and whirring the whole time, and the unit stays quite warm. Not good.

2. Streaming services stutter and stall badly. Yes there are many factors to consider, but the box is wired direct to my router and I have an 80Mbps Fibre connection. Streaming to multiple PC and a Panosonic TV work fine.

3. The Youview interface is rubbish in several ways. Calling up recorded programs is cumbersome, stopping active recordings requires navigating through menus to scheduled recordings, it just does not feel slick. The interface is also very slow especially when the box is first switched on.

The hardware information says it's a DTRT1000 (not 1010), so looks like same hardware as the original Youview platform.

This feels like a big mistake, so now I'm wondering whether to just change it now and go for HDR2000T or something else. I'll have a trip to the shops to try first!

Looks like Richer Sounds have ex-demo. The only new units are the HDR2000T, by the looks of things. And I notice they have a very similar remote, but is the UI similar to previous Humax Freeview boxes like HDR-FOX T2?

The only new units are the HDR2000T, by the looks of things. And I notice they have a very similar remote, but is the UI similar to previous Humax Freeview boxes like HDR-FOX T2?
The remote for the HDR-2000T is different to the HDR-FOX T2 but the user interface is very similar.

The 2000T is a cost reduced version of the HDR-Fox T2, it is similar in lots of ways, however if you are interested in the Custom Firmware that can be installed on the HDR-Fox T2, it is not available presently and there is no guarantee that it will ever be available. There is a 'differences' post HERE

Hopefully, with Talk Talk and BT's land grab of Youview as a pay-tv platform and with the BBC and other terrestrial broadcasters' likely re-focus on regular Freeview, fingers crossed, Humax will develop a new flagship PVR by building on the HDR-FOX T2, as a complement to the more budget HDR-2000T.

Back