New external HDD - a couple of questions

APJ

After managing with my measly 320Gb internal hard drive for many years and the volume of material I don't want to delete growing ever bigger, time came for a bit more storage, in the form of external hard drive.

I bought a little 1Tb USB Buffalo MiniStation and embarked on the joyous task of getting it to work. Out of the box, the Hummy would recognise the drive, allowing me to open the root directory but would not allow content to be copied - probably due to the Fat32 format.

So I've now downloaded and installed EaseUS partition manager onto my pc, and formatted the external drive to EXT3. This now works fine plugged into the Hummy, giving around 931Gb of extra storage. Using EXT2 Volume Manager, I can read the drive in Windows 7 and play non-HD content. However, I've found:
- copying from the internal drive to the new external drive takes an absolute age
- VLC media player will not play the HD content

Are pointers on overcoming the above?

- copying from the internal drive to the new external drive takes an absolute age
It does! There may be a quicker way of copying but I don't know it.
- VLC media player will not play the HD content
HD content is encrypted on the Foxsat and will only replay on the device on which it is recorded.
No doubt an expert will be along in a bit and expand on this.

It does! There may be a quicker way of copying but I don't know it.
HD content is encrypted on the Foxsat and will only replay on the device on which it is recorded.
No doubt an expert will be along in a bit and expand on this.

There is a patch to the Humax settop application recently published on the Custom Firmware thread on AV forums which causes the box to record all content without encryption. Installing the CF allows a PC to directly copy the files either by FTP or by mapping the internal HDD in Windows Explorer.

Other than this by using non freesat mode you can record HD manually without encryption (after a reboot in non-freesat mode)

There is a patch to the Humax settop application recently published on the Custom Firmware thread on AV forums which causes the box to record all content without encryption.
Could you be a bit more specific than 'recently' graham? I see that the latest CF seems to be v4.0.9 which I am running and I can't see a patch in the upgrades list and I can't readily find a reference to it on the CF forum on AV. We are talking about the Foxsat HDR not the T2 aren't we?

Thanks guys. That was jolly quick and British of you both ;=) I'll have a browse now.

Edit
Jeez, that thread takes some working out what's what. S'pose I had better read all from 715 as I have already noticed that there is at least one 'upgrade'
Edit 2
Works a treat. Thanks for the pointer. Post #740 is the latest at this stage.

Back