New feature request: bookmarks into the cut recording

mihaid

is it possible that when cutting the ads via the bookmark thingy to introduce a bookmark into the newly cut program? ie the shorter one. so we could easily check if the cut is done according to our wishes?

is it possible that when cutting the ads via the bookmark thingy to introduce a bookmark into the newly cut program? ie the shorter one. so we could easily check if the cut is done according to our wishes?
Yes already incorporated into the current version of Crop on browse menu
1581953535860.png
Not yet incorporated into detectads although @Matthew coded up the changes a while back

Saving the new bookmarks can fail (more often than not in my several tests) when run automatically after cropping as part of the "Perform crop" function because the newly cropped file is "in use". Unless you watch carefully you might not notice the failure until you play the cropped show, because the error message is shown in a slide-down display that quickly disappears.

Is the settop program opening it for DLNA indexing, thumbnail generation or such? If so, we need a more sophisticated approach than the current one which is just clicking the hidden "Save new bookmarks" button programmatically after the cropping has finished. As a minimal solution, the bookmark save should be verified either through a success return from the API used or just by checking for bookmarks in the cropped show, and otherwise the "Save new bookmarks" button should be unhidden so that the user can retry.

Saving the new bookmarks can fail (more often than not in my several tests) when run automatically after cropping as part of the "Perform crop" function because the newly cropped file is "in use".
I have never noticed this happen. The majority of the crop operations I perform happen to be on a HD-FOX, and I review the post-crop to check whether it needs adjusting.

That is not to discourage adding safety interlocks, but it raises a question whether there is something unusual about your setup.

Last edited:
What turns out to be unusual is that the machine is a(n) HD-FOX with my build of minidlna running, and that is what is accessing (presumably indexing) the newly cropped .ts file.

Although it's easy enough to copy the new bookmark list and re-apply it (if you catch the problem), I'll propose a patch to catch an unsuccessful attempt to add the new bookmarks.

I didn't see the same problem with the HDR-FOX, but IIRC it has been determined that its DLNA index is not continuously updated.

IIRC it has been determined that its DLNA index is not continuously updated
Correct. There is a major sweep during the shutdown process, and apart from that it seems hit-and-miss (can't recall what else triggers it, if anything).

with my build of minidlna running, and that is what is accessing (presumably indexing) the newly cropped .ts file.
Bookmarks are stored in the .hmt file, so why would that be a problem?

I've seen spurious in-use problems with detectads but haven't tracked down the cause, dlna is a likely problem
I'm experimenting with a retry loop if I detect files in use but the problem is that there are still timing windows - something could open a file an instant after checking the inuse status

I'm experimenting with a retry loop if I detect files in use but the problem is that there are still timing windows - something could open a file an instant after checking the inuse status
Do the Humax processes not respect an in-use status themselves? If so, it will always be a problem. If not, the usual method for obtaining control of a file in a multi-process system is:

Attempt to open the file. If successful, you have ownership and other processes are locked out. If unsuccessful, something else has ownership - try again later.​

Looking at the status first, before opening, invites a problem of timing windows.

Saving the new bookmarks can fail (more often than not in my several tests)

I have an observation about disappearing bookmarks (ones that are set by the custom software). This particular issue isn't caused by file locking. Sorry if this is already known.

If you are watching programme A, and then decide to change its bookmarks via the custom software, then pressing "STOP" before changing the bookmarks is not sufficient. You have to press "STOP" and THEN start playing a different recording before you can reliably change the bookmarks for programme A.

The disappearing problem is easy to reproduce:-
  1. Start watching a recording on the TV.
  2. Press stop.
  3. Change the bookmarks of that programme via webif (or via hmt command).
  4. ( Optional ) You can verify that the new bookmark setting was TEMPORARILY stored by using the WebIf (or the hmt command).
  5. Then press play on the TV (on the same recording). Now the bookmark changes will be GONE. They should be no longer be visible on either the SUI or the WebIf (this is what happens for me anyway).
A possible explanation for this is that the Humax might keep the last opened hmt file in memory cache, until you start watching something else.

There is a major sweep during the shutdown process, and apart from that it seems hit-and-miss (can't recall what else triggers it, if anything).

A FULL DLNA sweep is triggered when:-
  • The Humax has just finished recording a programme
  • The user has just deleted a recording via the SUI
  • Turn content sharing off and on in the settings
  • Turn the Humax off and on
  • ...there may be other events, but I doubt it
The sweep can take around a couple of minutes (literally 120 seconds) to complete on my box, therefore don't expect to see results instantly.

I have an observation about disappearing bookmarks (ones that are set by the custom software). This particular issue isn't caused by file locking. Sorry if this is already known.
I hadn't known about this but can confirm it happens,
How we can detect and solve this will be an interesting problem, hopefully it is fairly rare but I wonder if it also affects viewing a recording shortly after it has completed recording

How are you timing the sweep?
I timed the sweep by:-
  • Create a recording that isn't indexed (one easy way to do this is by renaming a recording via the WebIf file browser)
  • Trigger the sweep
  • In the WebIf file browser repeatedly hit the "refresh" (browser button) while viewing the un-indexed file. The little green "indexed" icon will appear at some point. Sometimes this happens quite quickly, but I have noticed delays of over a minute. I've never had it take longer than 2 minutes.
  • And yes, I'm probably a bit OCD (or impatient) for noticing this!

What indicates that a sweep is running?
Nothing that I know of. You only know that the sweep has happened by watching an un-indexed recording until it becomes indexed.

EDIT: It seemed logical to me that the Humax might perform such a sweep after a recording is made or deleted.

BTW: I use the undelete package. On the occasion when I need to trigger a sweep then I have a small music video recording that I delete via the SUI, and then afterwards move it back out of [deleted] using the WebIf.

Last edited:
How we can detect and solve this will be an interesting problem, hopefully it is fairly rare but I wonder if it also affects viewing a recording shortly after it has completed recording
One suggestion is to have a new log file "bookmarks_history.log" or similar. It could contain a single line for each recording that has been bookmarked by the WebIf/ ad detection etc. The format for the file could be single lines like this:-
hmt +setbookmarks=XXX file.hmt
...then the user can then copy and paste the appropriate line in the rare event that this happens.

To make it more accessible then a new Webif page could be created to do this - with a dropdown list of recordings. But this sounds like a lot of work.

Not exactly - only during turn-off (not as a result of turning on).
OK - so in other words if the box crashes then a DLNA scan does not take place when the Humax is turned back on? I have not investigated this scenario.

EDIT - but it does not affect the accuracy of my original statement. Turning the Humax off and on DOES produce a DLNA sweep at some point!

Last edited:
Bookmarks are stored in the .hmt file, so why would [minidlna indexing the recording] be a problem?
The test is [system inuse $file] which looks for $file (the file.ts passed from Browse Files) being open. There's no check on the .hmt.

I guess the intention is mainly to avoid clashing with the settop program's use of recordings, where bookmarks can only be set if the recording's .ts is open. As post #10 implies that bookmarks set while a recording is playing will be overwritten, this is a Good Thing.

I guess the intention is mainly to avoid clashing with the settop program's use of recordings, where bookmarks can only be set if the recording's .ts is open. As post #10 implies that bookmarks set while a recording is playing will be overwritten, this is a Good Thing.
Unfortunately post #10 also highlights there is also a case where the bookmarks can also be overwritten when the recording is not in use :(
I wonder if it also affects viewing a recording shortly after it has completed recording
No it doesn't (but of course we can't update bookmarks once the recording has started playing)

Back