New FFmpeg version

GlassMan

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any plan to update FFmpeg to a more recent version in the near future.

I recently tried to convert an mkv file that I had downloaded onto my humax to mp4, using a command like this:

ffmpeg -i videofile.mkv -codec copy videofile.mp4​

It failed with the error below, and after a quick google I found that it should be fixed in a later version. I recreated the error on my PC using an old FFmpeg version, and then downloaded the most recent version which worked successfully, so the recent version does appear to fix the issue.

I often end up with mkv files on my humax from various sources, and they rarely work, so being able to convert them to mp4 on my humax would be good. I can obviously work around this by copying them off, and converting them on my PC.

[mp4 @ 0x486d80] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 83 >= 42
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
Cheers,
Andy

No I don't, which is why I was just asking if there's any plan to update the version, I wasn't making any demands that it should be.

If the answer is no, it's no big deal, it was just a nice to have not a necessity.

:)
Do you have any idea how long that would take for the HDR-FOX t2 to do your conversion of a recording?

It shouldn't be that bad when using the "-codec copy", it's not doing any decoding and encoding, it's just re-muxing it into a new container, in this case from MKV to MP4. It doesn't hit the CPU very much, it's mainly just copying it into a new file/container - I can see when running the command on my laptop that the CPU is running below 10%.

I wouldn't have tried doing any re-encoding on the Humax, as you're correct, it would take a long time.

I've just realised that I may have taken Black Hole's comment the wrong way :)

The re-muxing error in my first post seems to only affect certain mkv files, and I've found one that does not have the error so I can do a test with it (to prove a point :)).....

The mkv file is 2.2G, and did not play on the humax. I ran the ffmpeg command to convert it to an mp4 file (using the example command in my first post directly on the humax), it took around 5 mintues and the output file (2.2G) played ok on the humax.

So the humax does manage it OK, it's just that I've come across a number of mkv files that error, which is fixed in the newer versions on FFmpeg.

It's still not a big issue though, but I would be interested to know if the FFmpeg was going to be upgraded in the future.

Brilliant, that works a treat, thanks mate!!

I tried version 2.1.4 and it when through OK on the file that normally errors out.

I didn't realise you could re-package an MKV as an MP4 without re-encoding. :oops:

Heavily dependent on the right kind of content in the MKV, shirley?

Back