New Fox T2 user - couple of newbie questions.

Jon Hobbs

Hi Guys,

I just found this forum because I bought one of these boxes today and I was hoping I could get a bit of help with a few issues I've found so far. Overall I love what I've seen so far, very easy to set up and use (I come from Windows Media Center so anything seems simple). Anyway, here are my issues...

1) After auto-tuning the first channel I tested was BBC 1, which was a mess, completely distorted. BBC2 was the same an BBC News. Plenty of other channels worked fine though, including the HD channels, so I assumed that the auto-tuning hadn't worked (because my Aerial picked them up fine on Windows Media Center) but then I noticed that there were 3 copies of some channels. I had BBC1 on channel 860, BBC2 on 861 etc. and they had a perfect signal.

So, now I'm wondering if it's possible to swap channel 1 with channel 860 so I can have all the working channels together in the guide (as you can with windows). I read another thread about this and it seemed to only be possible with a lot of hacking. I put some of my favourite channels in my favourites but you don't sem to be able to reorder them either and there's no remote button to easily get to your favourites list.

2) I'm also wondering if having multiple copies of each channel will cause any problem with duplicate recordings and such?

3) I have a thin black bar down the right hand side of the tv and the channel logos are slightly chopped off on the left hand side, suggesting the whole picture has shifted about half an inch to the left. I can't adjust this on the TV (and no other source has this problem), so I'm wondering if it's possible to "horizontally shift" the picture on the Humax box. When I used Windows Media Center I could set overscan and position settings on the graphics card but I'm assuming the Humax box doesn't have the same level of control?

4) Is there a way to show the guide with your favourite channels on in. I know you can bring up the channel list and go right to show your favourite channels but that's fairly useless without being able to see what's on. Is that all the favourite list does?

5) Is it possible to sort your recordings by date? It seems to put your recordings in series folders then order them alphabetically, which isn't very helpful if you want to see what new recordings have happened since you last watched TV.

Any help with these issues would be really appreciated :)

Jon

1) After auto-tuning the first channel I tested was BBC 1, which was a mess, completely distorted. BBC2 was the same an BBC News. Plenty of other channels worked fine though, including the HD channels, so I assumed that the auto-tuning hadn't worked (because my Aerial picked them up fine on Windows Media Center) but then I noticed that there were 3 copies of some channels. I had BBC1 on channel 860, BBC2 on 861 etc. and they had a perfect signal.
There is a just released version of the software for the HDR which, in my experience, greatly improves the tuning performance and should eliminate the duplicates see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/new-software-version-1-02-32.3013/ I would suggest you install that. The alternative is to manually tune see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-tuning-advice.472/page-2#post-5824
2) I'm also wondering if having multiple copies of each channel will cause any problem with duplicate recordings and such?
Yes it will cause problems with features like accurate recording and series record.
3) I have a thin black bar down the right hand side of the tv and the channel logos are slightly chopped off on the left hand side, suggesting the whole picture has shifted about half an inch to the left. I can't adjust this on the TV (and no other source has this problem), so I'm wondering if it's possible to "horizontally shift" the picture on the Humax box. When I used Windows Media Center I could set overscan and position settings on the graphics card but I'm assuming the Humax box doesn't have the same level of control?
What picture settings are you using on the Humax and the TV? Make and model of TV?

Thanks Martin,

I will check out the new software. Is this official and is it easy to install?

My seetings on the Humax box are 16:9 and I've tried "zoom" and "auto". I can't see any other options. My TV is a Samsung PS64D8000 and it's set to 16:9 also. There is a setting on the TV under "screen adjustment" for zoom/position but it's ghosted out. I can't see any other options on either gadget to get rid of the black bar.

Also, I've just looked round that Humax beta software site and can't find any instructions for installing new firmware. Would I have to network it to my laptop, or use a USB stick or something?

Thanks Martin,

My seetings on the Humax box are 16:9 and I've tried "zoom" and "auto". I can't see any other options. My TV is a Samsung PS64D8000 and it's set to 16:9 also. There is a setting on the TV under "screen adjustment" for zoom/position but it's ghosted out. I can't see any other options on either gadget to get rid of the black bar.
Try pressing the V-Format button on the remote control to change the output mode and see if it improves things.

Also, I've just looked round that Humax beta software site and can't find any instructions for installing new firmware. Would I have to network it to my laptop, or use a USB stick or something?
The instructions are provided as a text file within the ZIP file that you download. Yes, you put a file on a USB stick, plug it in while the Humax is in standby and then start it up using the button on the front.
Yes, it's official firmware.

What you download is a zip file which contains the software (.hdf file) and a .txt file which amongst other things contains the installation instructions which involve a USB stick. Be aware that it pauses at 79% progress which is spooky but comletely normal.

Yes it is official and according to a reliable source will be released OTA in the near future. Takes five minutes to install providing the Humax is happy with your USB stick. It can be a bit fussy and I keep a small capacity give away stick specifically for applying software updates.

Hmm, it seems more pronounced on 1080p than it does on 576p. 720p doesn't look as bad either.

However, the amount of black bar seems to change depending on the channel and seems to get worst when the adverts come on.

I'm now watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks on 1080p and the size of the black bar seems to have halved. Very confusing!

Hmm, it seems more pronounced on 1080p than it does on 576p. 720p doesn't look as bad either.
However, the amount of black bar seems to change depending on the channel and seems to get worst when the adverts come on.

Try the button for the TV that selects 'Just Scan', on my Samsung it is called P. size.

If you create a Favourites list with Menu >> Settings >> Edit Channels >> 0000 >> Edit Favourites List you can pick just the channels you want and re-order them e.g. I have 1, 101, 102, 2, 7, 9, 3 etc.. You can display your new favourites list with Giude >> Group (Blue) >> {select favourite} then change channel by selecting a program from your new list
BTW
Are you using a HDMI cable or a SCART cable to connect your Humax to your TV?

Back