New hard drive, backing up recordings & schedule? (Custom Firmware)

Aaron

Planning to upgrade to a bigger hard drive (new ST2000VM003 on the way) and have searched the forum for backup transfer methods but came across a lot of vague threads. One of those is ftp transfer, but the humax has very slow 100mbit (10MB/sec transfer) so this would take too long. Plus I'm not sure how to backup the schedule, I have been on WebIf and made a backup but can't find the file on the ftp server to grab it.

I have a few tools I can use if there is an alternative way to speed this up, I have a sata to usb adapter, PC and linux live isos, and a spare 2TB HDD. I could either:

a) Take out the old hard drive, connect it to PC and boot into a linux live iso environment. Copy videos and other configs to my PC's storage. Connect new HDD to humax and let it create its partitions then take it out and connect it to PC and copy everything back.
b) Connect a spare HDD to my adapter and plug it into the humax, and use its usb backup function? Then copy everything back when new HDD is fitted.

I don't mind starting over with packages. I've seen glitchy behavior from RedRing and sometimes the box is in idle for no reason (webif active too - stating system is in standby). So starting over might be a good idea.

The recording schedule and favourites live in Flash storage so won't be lost on HDD change, just take a backup again after installing the new drive and reinstalling the Webif and other packages.

Option C) Just take out old drive and install new drive, attach old drive to adapter and copy to new disk, No need for double copy

Thanks, I connected a spare HDD to a usb adapter to try it out and can see it show up in WebIf too which is nice, I won't have to use that awkward humax UI to copy everything

Back