New HDR-2000T owner - first questions

Hello

I've just this week got a hDR-2000T to replace a terminally sick DigitalStream PVR. I am now learning the Humax way of doing things so here's my first batch of questions:)

• Is it possible to navigate by whole days in the TV Guide? The manual suggests it is (page 24, TV Guide > Advanced Options) but I can't find the buttons on the remote.
  • Software update. My box has V. 1.01.16, Humax list V. 1.01.20 as the latest. Is there anything else changed apart from the HDMI sound problem being fixed? As this isn't affecting me I will probably leave well alone unless there are any other important fixes of improvements.
  • It would seem that the Humax can play video from an external drive. What container file and codec combinations are supported? The manual is very vague about this.
Thanks for any help - this recorder looks a nice bit of kit wonce I learn to drive it properly :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will

Is it possible to navigate by whole days in the TV Guide? The manual suggests it is (page 24, TV Guide > Advanced Options) but I can't find the buttons on the remote.
Yes. You can navigate by two hour increments using the fast forward and back buttons and by one day increments using the skip forward and backward buttons (the buttons directly below the fast forward and back buttons).
Software update. My box has V. 1.01.16, Humax list V. 1.01.20 as the latest. Is there anything else changed apart from the HDMI sound problem being fixed? As this isn't affecting me I will probably leave well alone unless there are any other important fixes of improvements.
There are often minor undocumented bug fixes but I agree there is no rush to upgrade.

• Is it possible to navigate by whole days in the TV Guide? The manual suggests it is (page 24, TV Guide > Advanced Options) but I can't find the buttons on the remote.
Yes. It is the same as the skip back and jump forward buttons.

• Software update. My box has V. 1.01.16, Humax list V. 1.01.20 as the latest. Is there anything else changed apart from the HDMI sound problem being fixed? As this isn't affecting me I will probably leave well alone unless there are any other important fixes of improvements.
Also a change for iPlayer support. It wasn't totally clear about what this was for. If you have an iPlayer problem (apart from it often crashing when you start to play something) then 1.01.20 may be worth a try. It is not difficult to update and unlike a few PVR's providing you have a copy of the old software you can go back.

It would seem that the Humax can play video from an external drive. What container file and codec combinations are supported? The manual is very vague about this.
The manual does state
"You can play back XviD/MP3/JPEG files (except files with copy-protection or restricted playback)."
but it also plays at least BBC iPlayer mp4 and m4a downloads. I don't think I've seen anyone try to gather a definitive list for the HDR-2000T. I suspect that Humax didn't want to state anything that could have changed if the SOC used in manufacture changed.

Thanks for the info.

S/W update: I'll probably download the latest from Humax and keep it safe somewhere in case I need it, but leave the recorder alone if all that I need is working well.

unlike a few PVR's providing you have a copy of the old software you can go back.
Is there a source for older versions? The Humax website only seems to offer the latest for any given machine.

Thanks again for now.
Will

Hello again

I have been reading through the useful info in reference post Things Every ... Fox... owner should know and wandered whether parts 2 and 4 regarding duplcate channels and 'stale' EPG are still a problem with the HDR-2000T? If so, whats the best work around especially for the EPG data - I'm sure I can manage a manual tune if I have got duplicate channels.

Thanks again
Will

I have been reading through the useful info in reference post Things Every ... Fox... owner should know and wandered whether parts 2 and 4 regarding duplcate channels and 'stale' EPG are still a problem with the HDR-2000T? If so, whats the best work around especially for the EPG data - I'm sure I can manage a manual tune if I have got duplicate channels.
I don't recollect seeing any issues with stale EPG on our HDR-2000T. Checking that the box is correctly tuned and if necessary correcting it by manual tuning is still important.

Thanks Martin

I have checked and found some channels in the 800s so started again and manually tuned my areas main MUXs. Time to get used to the machine and see what issues, if any, come to light.

Back